Upper Canada Herald (Kingston, ON), Aug. 29, 1837
- Full Text
p.2 Presque Isle Light House! - We are glad to perceive that this important work, so much required for the Shipping interest on Lake Ontario, is about to be commenced, as will be seen on reference to our advertisements. The situation, as reported by the Engineer, appears to be most favourable for the completion of the work. It is satisfactory to observe that the Commissioners generally, who have been appointed to the management of the several contemplated improvements, in the country have, as in the present instance, judiciously availed themselves of the services of those, whose peculiar province it is to conduct such works... [Cobourg Star]
two rafts broken up in storm between Prescott and Long Sault and several raftsmen perish. [Prescott Herald]
The Des Jardins Canal was opened for navigation on the 16th inst. - Three steamboats, the Experiment, Britannia and the Burlington, passed up the Canal from Lake Ontario to the town of Dundas. A large concourse of people attended the opening, the Hamilton and Ancaster Bands were in attendance, and in the evening about ninety gentlemen dined at Mr. Peter Bombarger's Inn. W. Paterson, Esq., President of the Canal Company presiding, supported by the Hon. James Crooks and Hon. Wells. The same day a schooner took in a load of staves at Dundas for Kingston. This work will greatly promote the prosperity of that section of the Province, and of the Town of Dundas in particular.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- Aug. 29, 1837
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Rick Neilson
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes