Kingston Herald (Kingston, ON), April 23, 1844
- Full Text
(from originals at Queen's University - Special Collections)
p.3 Notwithstanding the contemplated removal of the seat of government from Kingston, considerable improvements have been effected in Town lately, and others are in progress. J.H. Greer, Esq., has made some extensive additions to his wharves and store-houses on the premises leased by him from Mr. Cartwright. The high bank has been levelled down, and spacious wharves have been carried out a good distance into the harbour and so arranged that they form sheltered docks, where vessels may lie safe in every storm. These wharves are mostly filled in with stone, and are of a most substantial make. A large stone house has also been erected. These improvements have cost altogether about 2000 Pounds, and have given employment to many persons during the winter and spring.
Extensive wharves and stores have also been built for the Quebec Forwarding Company at the foot of Queen Street.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- April 23, 1844
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Rick Neilson
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes