The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Kingston Herald (Kingston, ON), Nov. 17, 1846

Full Text

p.2 Improvement in Navigation - Among the many improvements of our navigation, we may notice one just effected by Jacob DeWitt, Esq. of great interest to the dwellers on Lake St. Louis. That gentleman has put a new steam ferry boat on the station from Lachine to Beauharnois. It is a very great improvement, 175 feet long, with powerful engines and capital accommodation. It performs the trip between the two places, on an average, in an hour each way, while the old one which it replaces occupied three to four hours. [Montreal Gazette]

Shipbuilding at the Niagara Dock - Preparations are now making in the establishment of the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company, for the construction of Capt. Sutherland's new iron steamer, the material for which arrived at Montreal some time since from Britain, and is daily expected here. Two vessels left the Dock in tow of the Admiral, in the early part of this week laden with part of the valuable and ponderous machinery of the Canada, now in course of completion at Chippewa. We are glad to learn that they reached their destination in safety.

[Niagara Chronicle Nov. 6th]

Steamer Aground - The steamer Telegraph grounded in the river, nearly opposite the residence of the Hon. John Hamilton, during a fog which prevailed the early part of yesterday. The Admiral was employed for some time in endeavours to get her off, but was unsuccessful. [ibid]

Schooner General Wolfe - During the storms which have prevailed, many of our vessels have sought and found safety in our excellent harbour, but at the close of last week, we regret to say, the schooner General Wolfe, of Hamilton, missed stays, dragged her anchors, went ashore a little on the town side of Fort Mississagua, and has not yet got off. She has sustained little damage, and was without cargo. [ibid]

p.3 Picton Correspondence

Picton, Nov. 5, 1846.

Sir, - On Wednesday last I determined on going to Picton, for the purpose of transacting some business. Understanding that the boat left Greer's Wharf, at 9 o'clock A.M., prrecisely, for the head of the Bay, and having had some business to perform, previous to my departure, I accordingly hurried to get it done as soon as possible. I almost broke my neck to get down to the boat in time; but instead of the boat leaving at nine, as she should have done, I actually waited on the wharf until half-past eleven for her to start. There were about twenty passengers impatiently waiting to embark for the Bay; exclusive of those on board.

Thus are the travelling community detained. They write for their teams or their friends to meet them at a certain port, and, in consequence of the boat not arriving at the usual hour, they have got to wait for three or four hours on the wharf exposed, perhaps, to the inclemency of the weather. Such a state of things should not be allowed to exist. There should be a boat for passengers expressly. Those, in the habit of coming down the Bay, have been, in this way, humbugged for years......


Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 17, 1846
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Kingston Herald (Kingston, ON), Nov. 17, 1846