Kingston News (Kingston, ON), Oct. 15, 1846
- Full Text
p.2 A New Propeller - The Earl Cathcart, a new Propeller built at Amherstburgh during the summer by Messrs. Parks & Company and others, arrived here this morning from Toronto with a large miscellaneous freight, (equal to 8,000 bushels wheat,) and several cabin passengers. She drew 7 feet 9 inches. This Propeller is of the largest class, and when the St. Lawrence Canals are completed next year, will ply between Montreal and the Upper Lakes. The following are the Earl's dimensions - length 138 feet overall; breadth of beam, 25 feet, depth of hold, 9 1/2 feet, burthen, about 350 tons.
She is propelled by two engines of 40 horsepower each, built by Cayuga Co., of Cleveland, which drive her through the water at the rate of 10 miles an hour. The cabins are tastefully fitted up, and afford good accommodation for 30 passengers.
The Earl Cathcart is commanded by Capt. Symes, whom, with his noble vessel, we wish every success. [Argus]
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- Oct. 15, 1846
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Rick Neilson
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes