The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
New Mills List


Records

Results

We found
6024
matching items
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Moira
    Ship       First Rebuild: Rebuilt: in 1844 Dimensions unknown. Owned by L. Clothier, Kemptville Ont. 1843, 1846 (operated by Pioneer Steamboat Co.) Newspaper advertisement at end of 1846 says will be sold by L. Clothier; two years old. Almost nothing known.
    Ship     First Rebuild: Rebuilt: in 1844 Dimensions unknown. Owned by L. Clothier, Kemptville Ont. 1843, 1846 (operated by Pioneer Steamboat Co.) Newspaper advertisement at end of 1846 says will be sold ...
  • Moira (1855)
    Ship       Approx.123x25x8 Owned by B. Flint, Belleville. Built by A. L. Hossleton, Belleville and launched 01/05/55. Oscillating. engine by Sheppard, Buffalo N.Y. Carried 40 cabin passengers. Used on Lake Ontario. Wrecked in snowstorm 21/11/55 Amherst Island, refloated. Sank 08/10/62 Main Ducks, Lake Ontario. ; Final Location: Main Ducks, Lake Ontario, Foundered
    Ship     Approx.123x25x8 Owned by B. Flint, Belleville. Built by A. L. Hossleton, Belleville and launched 01/05/55. Oscillating. engine by Sheppard, Buffalo N.Y. Carried 40 cabin passengers. Used on Lake Ontario. Wrecked ...
  • Mollie (1897)
    Ship       Official No.: 103927; 41x7x3 Owned by J. J. McBain, Peterborough.
    Ship     Official No.: 103927; 41x7x3 Owned by J. J. McBain, Peterborough.
  • Molly S. (1901)
    Ship       Other Names: N. Ellen M. (1935); Official No.: 111851; First Rebuild: Official Number: 111851 Propulsion: Screw Dimensions: 66 x 12 -- 25 tons Rebuilt: Wiarton, Ontario, Canada in 1936 68x12x5 Owned by C. Sims, Manitouwaning Ont. 1901; P. Menary, Lion's Head 1917, 1945. Destroyed by fire 06/08/49 Cabot Head, Georgian ...
    Ship     Other Names: N. Ellen M. (1935); Official No.: 111851; First Rebuild: Official Number: 111851 Propulsion: Screw Dimensions: 66 x 12 -- 25 tons Rebuilt: Wiarton, Ontario, Canada in 1936 68x12x5 ...
  • Mona (1889)
    Ship       Official No.: 94873; 54x13x6 Owned by W. H. Davis, Ottawa. Built by Cantin, Montreal 1889. Engine 10x10 by builder. Tug.
    Ship     Official No.: 94873; 54x13x6 Owned by W. H. Davis, Ottawa. Built by Cantin, Montreal 1889. Engine 10x10 by builder. Tug.
  • Monaco (1888)
    Ship       Official No.: 95509; 42x8x4 Owned by A. Boyer, Montreal 1895, 1901; J. H. Garth, Montreal 1910, 1921; R. F. Girdwood, Montreal 1927. Destroyed by fire 13/09/35 Pointe Claire Que. ; Final Location: Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada, Burnt
    Ship     Official No.: 95509; 42x8x4 Owned by A. Boyer, Montreal 1895, 1901; J. H. Garth, Montreal 1910, 1921; R. F. Girdwood, Montreal 1927. Destroyed by fire 13/09/35 Pointe Claire Que. ; ...
  • Mona's Isle (1865)
    Ship       Official No.: 52462; 64x14x4 Owned by S. Ward, Trois Rivières. Built by J. K. Ward, Trois Rivières 1865. Towboat.
    Ship     Official No.: 52462; 64x14x4 Owned by S. Ward, Trois Rivières. Built by J. K. Ward, Trois Rivières 1865. Towboat.
  • Monarch (1856)
    Ship       174x25x10 Owned by Sinclair, McCarthy & Shaw. Built by D. & J. McCarthy, Sorel and launched 12/07/56. Engine(s) 46x132 by Kingston Foundry, from "John Counter". Used Montreal-Hamilton. Maiden voyage 09/09/56 with entire "upper saloon deck" missing (never added). Wrecked on fourth trip 29/11/56 Toronto Island and broke up in gale ...
    Ship     174x25x10 Owned by Sinclair, McCarthy & Shaw. Built by D. & J. McCarthy, Sorel and launched 12/07/56. Engine(s) 46x132 by Kingston Foundry, from "John Counter". Used Montreal-Hamilton. Maiden voyage 09/09/56 ...
  • Monarch (1890)
    Ship       Official No.: 96843; 240x35x15 Owned by Northwest Transportation Co.; to Northern Navigation Co. 1901. Built by Dyble & Perry, Sarnia 1890. Engine 21-33-54x42 by Kerr Bros., Walkerville. Used Sarnia-Lakehead. Wrecked in gale 06/12/06 Isle Royale, 1 killed. ; Final Location: Isle Royale, Michigan, U.S.A., Wrecked
    Ship     Official No.: 96843; 240x35x15 Owned by Northwest Transportation Co.; to Northern Navigation Co. 1901. Built by Dyble & Perry, Sarnia 1890. Engine 21-33-54x42 by Kerr Bros., Walkerville. Used Sarnia-Lakehead. Wrecked ...
  • Monarch (1893)
    Ship       Official No.: 100141; 111x18x5 Owned by E. W. Brydges, Rat Portage (Kenora) Ont. 1895, 1901; A. F. D. McGachen & W. A. Weir, Kenora 1907. Built by D. Mosher, Fort Frances 1893. Engine 12x36 by F. G. Beckett, Hamilton. Passenger vessel. Stranded 08/06/95 foot of Sault Rapids, stayed until 01/08. ...
    Ship     Official No.: 100141; 111x18x5 Owned by E. W. Brydges, Rat Portage (Kenora) Ont. 1895, 1901; A. F. D. McGachen & W. A. Weir, Kenora 1907. Built by D. Mosher, Fort ...
  • Monarch (1898)
    Ship       Official No.: 107863; Previous Registration: U.S.A. (1900) 120x32x5 Owned by F. de Journal, Dawson, Yukon 1901; D. Burns, Whitehorse 1903; G. S. Wilkins, Whitehorse 1905. Engine (details lacking) removed 1900, operated as barge; replaced 1901 by engine from "Clara". Vessel sometimes known as "Clara-Monarch". Sternwheel. Court case May 1902 as ...
    Ship     Official No.: 107863; Previous Registration: U.S.A. (1900) 120x32x5 Owned by F. de Journal, Dawson, Yukon 1901; D. Burns, Whitehorse 1903; G. S. Wilkins, Whitehorse 1905. Engine (details lacking) removed 1900, ...
  • Monarque (1853)
    Ship       First Rebuild: Official Number: 90545 Propulsion: Sidewheel Dimensions: 109 x 30 -- 136 tons Rebuilt: Sorel, Quebec, Canada in 1886 109x30x7 Owned by E. Monarque, Sorel 1886, 1895; J. H. Dansereau, Verchères 1901, 1907. Rebuilt as steamer by D. Richard, Sorel 1886. Engine 48x72 (maker unknown), made 1856. Wrecked by ...
    Ship     First Rebuild: Official Number: 90545 Propulsion: Sidewheel Dimensions: 109 x 30 -- 136 tons Rebuilt: Sorel, Quebec, Canada in 1886 109x30x7 Owned by E. Monarque, Sorel 1886, 1895; J. H. ...
  • Mondoc (1928)
    Ship       Official No.: 149459; 253x43x18 Owned by N. M. Paterson & Sons, Ltd. Built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend England. Engine 15-28-40x33 (maker uncertain). Requsitioned for war use 1940. Hit mine and wrecked 05/01/41 Virgin Islands. ; Final Location: Caribbean, War Loss
    Ship     Official No.: 149459; 253x43x18 Owned by N. M. Paterson & Sons, Ltd. Built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend England. Engine 15-28-40x33 (maker uncertain). Requsitioned for war use ...
  • Monitor (1863)
    Ship       Official No.: 46242; Previous Registration: U.S.A. (1864) First Rebuild: Official Number: 46242 Propulsion: Screw Dimensions: 58 x 15 -- 32 tons Rebuilt: in 1904 58x15x5 Owned by J. Hoque, Valleyfield Que. Engine 7x8 by E. Leonard & Son, London Ont. Steam barge.
    Ship     Official No.: 46242; Previous Registration: U.S.A. (1864) First Rebuild: Official Number: 46242 Propulsion: Screw Dimensions: 58 x 15 -- 32 tons Rebuilt: in 1904 58x15x5 Owned by J. Hoque, Valleyfield ...
  • Monitor (1867)
    Ship       134x20x7 Owned by Upper Ottawa Steamboat Co. 1877, 1886; Upper Ottawa Improvement Co. 1895. Built by Powers, Aylmer 1867. Towboat. Custom-House measure (pre-1877) 144t.
    Ship     134x20x7 Owned by Upper Ottawa Steamboat Co. 1877, 1886; Upper Ottawa Improvement Co. 1895. Built by Powers, Aylmer 1867. Towboat. Custom-House measure (pre-1877) 144t.
  • Monitor (1899)
    Ship       Other Names: Jean T.; Official No.: 107891; 61x17x7 Owned by J. & R. Weir, Montreal 1901; to Dominion Government 1903. Built by J. & R. Weir, Montreal 1899. Engine "three 12in. cylinders x 18in stroke" by builder (per Register). Tug.
    Ship     Other Names: Jean T.; Official No.: 107891; 61x17x7 Owned by J. & R. Weir, Montreal 1901; to Dominion Government 1903. Built by J. & R. Weir, Montreal 1899. Engine "three ...
  • Monkshaven (1882)
    Ship       Official No.: 86632; 249x36x18 Owned in England, chartered by Algoma Central Railway, 1900-1905. Built by J. Readhead & Sons, South Shields England 1882. Wrecked 27/11/05 Pie Island, Thunder Cape. Attempt to raise in 1907 failed, remains left on Angus Island. ; Final Location: Thunder Cape, Ontario, Canada, Wrecked
    Ship     Official No.: 86632; 249x36x18 Owned in England, chartered by Algoma Central Railway, 1900-1905. Built by J. Readhead & Sons, South Shields England 1882. Wrecked 27/11/05 Pie Island, Thunder Cape. Attempt ...
  • Monkshaven (1911)
    Ship       Official No.: 131833; 335x49x12 Owned in England, built for charter to Dominion Coal Co., Glace Bay N. S. Built by Doxford, Sunderland England. Engine 23-38-64x45 (maker uncertain).
    Ship     Official No.: 131833; 335x49x12 Owned in England, built for charter to Dominion Coal Co., Glace Bay N. S. Built by Doxford, Sunderland England. Engine 23-38-64x45 (maker uncertain).
  • Mono (1898)
    Ship       Official No.: 107102; 120x23x5 Owned by Teslin Transportation Co. Built by A. F. Henderson, Stikine River 1898. Engines (2) 10x72 by D. M. Swain, Stillwater Minn. Sternwheel. Diverted to Yukon on completion, wrecked 17/07/98 under tow by "Fastnet" Wrangell to St. Michael's, Alaska. Sold at Wrangell, repaired 1901 and sent ...
    Ship     Official No.: 107102; 120x23x5 Owned by Teslin Transportation Co. Built by A. F. Henderson, Stikine River 1898. Engines (2) 10x72 by D. M. Swain, Stillwater Minn. Sternwheel. Diverted to Yukon ...
  • Monobel (1910)
    Ship       Official No.: 130295; 40x10x5 Owned by Canadian Explosives Ltd., Montreal 1917. Passenger vessel at Sidney B. C. Burnt 1920/10 James Island, B.C.
    Ship     Official No.: 130295; 40x10x5 Owned by Canadian Explosives Ltd., Montreal 1917. Passenger vessel at Sidney B. C. Burnt 1920/10 James Island, B.C.
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










New Mills List


INTRODUCTION

The aim of this List is to include all inland and coastal steam and motor vessels operating in Canada, over about 45 feet in length for 19th Century vessels, and about 60 feet for those between 1900 and 1930, though some smaller vessels have been listed as well. A few that were registered outside Canada have been included where they ran for an appreciable time in Canadian service (e.g. charter). In the years covered here, British registered ships could operate here on the same basis as Canadian. Warships and those used in transocean services have been excluded. Gross tonnage is used. Listings are under the earliest name held as a Canadian vessel, with references to the last-previous or first-subsequent foreign name where known. Two unregistered vessels that never received names are shown following “Z’.

Much information here, particularly for earlier listings, has been derived from contemporary newspaper news reports and advertisements. In areas not yet penetrated by railways, shipping was of vital interest to all, and the doings and mishaps of steamboats were carefully noted. In the absence of modern news services, the papers copied freely from each other so that a general coverage can be obtained. In a remarkable number of cases this primary source contradicts information contained in other records and has usually been used here; thus this List does not always agree with data appearing elsewhere.

Another source is the Reports of the Board of Steamboat Inspection published annually from 1868 to 1920. These suffer badly from misprints and no single Report can in itself be taken as “gospel”. However if they are systematically tabulated year by year, anomalies can be detected and ignored. The tonnages given can be relied on since many tolls and charges (including the inspection fee itself) were based on them. These Reports have been the source of information on many rebuildings and renamings. Disappearance from the Reports is usually a better indication of retirement than the date of Removal from the Register since the latter date can be twenty years or more after the fact; it is used here only when no more specific information is available.

The Lists of Wrecks and Casualties appearing with the Inspection Reports are less useful than they seem, both because of the misprint problem and also because of the questionable nature of the dates given, which sometimes seem to be the date the “Casualty” was reported rather than the date of the mishap itself. Different dates for the same event are sometimes given in different sections of the same Report, or a different date appears under each name for a mishap (e.g. collision) affecting more than one vessel. This is one reason why dates are given in year/month format only. (The other is that when reading a report in a weekly paper, quoting another weekly, each published on different days of the week, it is impossible to tell what day is meant by (e.g.) “last Tuesday”.)

REGISTRATION IN EARLY DAYS

Registration in the nineteenth century was somewhat haphazard and some vessels in outlying areas were never registered at all, and are given here with such information as is available. They are denoted by “U” in the Official Number column.

The biggest problem is the eccentric history of registration (or non-registration) on the inland waters of Eastern Canada. Originally there was no Canadian register as such; “sea-going” vessels (a very all-inclusive category) were registered at Quebec or Montreal under the Imperial Merchant Shipping Act. They had to be measured for tonnage at one or other of these ports, and since it was impossible for those located above the Lachine Rapids to reach them they were simply ignored, officially speaking. In practical terms all vessels on the Great Lakes and Upper St.Lawrence River before 1845 were unregistered, and are shown by “N” in the Official Number column.

Late in 1845 the Province of Canada (as it then was) passed the Inland Navigation Act which created a Provincial registry system, the Collectors of Customs being required to act as Registrars of Shipping. The purpose was primarily to establish ownership, and hence liability, in case of accident; no central registry existed and records were kept in the various Customs offices. Virtually all of them have disappeared, and there is no official data on any of these vessels unless they lasted long enough to appear on the first List of Shipping published in 1873. Registration under the Inland Act was limited to Canadian-built boats, and it was the custom to register foreign-built craft at Montreal under the Imperial Act regardless of where they were located.

Unregistered vessels could use any name their owners chose, and later apparently the Custom-House authorities were not careful of this matter; the newspapers have proved invaluable in attempting to unravel this particular snarl.

TONNAGE AND NUMBERS

During the period of dual registration (Imperial or Inland), tonnage was computed on different formulae by the two authorities, the one used by the Inland Act (called Custom-House Measure) giving a smaller figure since less of the space above the main deck was counted. The new Dominion of Canada rationalized the system and after 1874 all new registrations were made under new regulations equivalent to the Imperial Act. In 1877 and 1878 all vessels using Custom-House Measure were resurveyed, sometimes with startling effects on their official particulars; the tonnage of some large passenger boats virtually tripled overnight. The resurveyed figure has in all cases been used here.

Official Numbers were assigned from blocks in the British series set aside for the purpose. The use of Official Numbers began in 1855; at that time all vessels then operating and registered under the Imperial Act were given numbers, those in the Province of Canada (registered at Montreal or Quebec) in the 32000/33000 series and those in the Maritime Provinces in the 34000/35000 series. It should be noted that those transferred from British to Canadian register retained their British numbers unchanged. Early registrations before the creation of Official Numbers are also indicated by “N”.

The Custom-House authorities did not use numbers and such vessels are indicated by a dash in the Official Number column. When they were incorporated into the unified Canadian register no numbers were assigned to them unless a resurvey was required due to rebuilding. The last steamer with no Official Number (PIERREPONT) was withdrawn in 1930. The Federal Government did not register many of its own vessels until the time of World War I. The record is unquestionably held by TRUDEAU which was purchased in 1876 but not registered until 1914, almost at the end of her long career.

I must express my appreciation to Prof. Eugene Clevenger and Mr. Charles Rae for their expertise and hard work in the computerization of these records, condemned as they were to work with a computer-illiterate Luddite; also to Mr. Maurice Smith and Dr. Gordon Shaw for their help and encouragement. Most of the research was performed over a period of almost thirty years in the extensive library collection of the University of Toronto, whose staff could not have been more helpful.

John M. Mills

MYSTERY SHIPS

The following vessels were in service as indicated, but are known only from newspaper references and/or Inspection Reports. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Alma: Rideau-Ottawa 1858-62
Augusta: Upper St. Lawrence 1848-50
Beaver: Saskatchewan River 1901-05
Brantford: Grand River 1843
British Queen: Rice Lake Ont. 1850’s
Cornwall: Upper St. Lawrence 1823-32
Dalhousie*: Montreal 1820
Dragon: Upper St. Lawrence 1838-40
Empire: Rideau Canal 1848-49
Felicite: Montreal 1833-36
Fly: Kawartha Lakes 1855-60
Georgie: Fraser River B.C. 1878-80
Glengarry: Upper St. Lawrence 1854
H.P. Redner: Lake Ontario 1860-65
Hastings: Thames River 1848-55
Hope: Lake Ontario 1851-59
Locomotive: Lake Ontario 1855
Longueuil: Montreal 1858
Mohawk: Rideau Canal 1840-42
Moira: Lake Ontario 1844-47
Napoleon: Lake Ontario 1854-56
Neptune: Grand River 1842
Newcastle: New Brunswick 1868-73
Nil Desperandum: Ottawa River 1880’s
North Star: Cobden Ont. 1855-57
North Star: Minden Ont. 1874
Ontario: Ottawa-Rideau 1860-63
Prescott: Ottawa-St. Lawrence 1861-71
Rival: Upper St. Lawrence 1845
St . Anne: Trois Rivieres Que. 1864-70
St. Eustache: Ottawa River 1864-65
St. Paul: Trois Rivieres Que. 1866-72
Sarah: Lake Ontario 1869-71
Victoria: Upper St. Lawrence 1841
Victoria: Lake Ontario 1851-65
Watchman: Lake Superior 1877-83
Welland: Toronto 1856-68

*Note: This is not the better-known steamer on the Upper St. Lawrence 1822-34.