NOTICES TO MARINERS
Dominion Department of Marine and Fisheries.
All bearings, unless otherwise noted, are magnetic & are given from seaward; miles are nautical miles; heights are above high water, & all depths are at mean low water.
No. 11, Feb. 24—Port Elgin Range Lights. The information given in notice no. 5 of 1898 with regard to the Port Elgin range lights having been found to be incomplete, tV in some respects inaccurate, it is cancelled, & replaced by the following : Instead of the single light at Port Elgin, on the east shore of Lake Huron, described in list of lights, 1897, under the no. 993, there are now 2 pairs of range lights, arranged to lead into the port through the deepest channel. All 4 lights are shown from lanterns hoisted on masts, with sheds at their bases. Before the opening of navigation in 1898 the masts & sheds will be painted white. The front mast of the south range stands upon the shore line about 1,300 ft. southwardly from the south end of the Government landing wharf. Approximate position, taken from Admiralty chart no. 519: Lat. N. 44 26' 15", Long. W. 81 23'30". The mast is 14 ft. high. The light is a fixed white light, elevated 16 ft. above the ordinary level of the lake, should be visible 4 miles in the line of range. The illuminating apparatus consists of a pressed glass lens. This light was established in 1895. The back mast of the south range stands 70 It. E.S.E. from the front one. It is 18 ft. high. The light is a fixed red light, elevated 20 ft. above the lake & should be visible 4 miles in the line of range. The illuminating apparatus consists of a pressed glass lens. This light was established in 1895. The front mast of the east range stands on the Government landing wharf, near its north-east extremity. It is 14 ft. high. The light is a fixed white light, elevated 23 ft. above the lake, & should be visible 9 miles from all points of approach by water. The illuminating apparatus is dioptric of the 7th order. This light was established in 1884, but has since been moved. The back mast of the east range stands on the shore on the east side of the harbour, 680 ft. N.E. from the front mast, & is 16 ft. high. The light is fixed red, elevated 25 ft. above the lake, should be visible 4 miles in the line of range. The illuminating apparatus consists of‘a pressed glass lens. This light was established in 1895. Vessels entering Port Elgin should bring the south range lights in one, & stand in on the range until the east range lights are brought in one, & then follow the east range into the dredged harbour between the breakwater & the landing wharf, leaving the front light on the starboard hand, to clear the wharf. This notice affects Admiralty charts 519 & 678, & the substance of it should be entered in the Canadian list of lights & fog signals instead of no. 993.