"This Remarkable Growth": Investment in Canadian Great Lakes Shipping, 1900-1959
- The Northern Mariner / Le marin du nord (St. John's, NL), Jul 2005, p. 1-37
- Salmon, M. Stephen, Author
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The growth of the Canadian Great Lakes transportation industry is matched by the growth of the Canadian economy as a whole in the first six decades of the twentieth century. This paper presents, as a preliminary analysis of this industry, brief case studies of three transportation companies including Canada Steamship Lines, Paterson Steamships Limited and the Quebec and Ontario Transportation Company. These companies were loaded with a large percentage of the cargoes of the time. They also represent links between the Canadian owners of the Great Lakes transportation companies and the North American economy. As their collective history demonstrates, the wealth of these three ship owners reflects the performance of the Canadian economy between 1900 and 1959.
- Date of Publication:
- Jul 2005
- Date Of Event:
- Corporate Name(s):
- Canada Steamship Lines ; Paterson Steamships Limited ; Quebec and Ontario Transportation Company
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rights holder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder:
- Canadian Nautical Research Society
- Recommended Citation:
- The Northern Mariner/Le marin du nord, XV No. 3, (July 2005), 1 - 37.
Canadian Nautical Research Society