(copied from Whig by Montreal Gazette, Nov. 1, 1841)
p.2 ...But in no part of Kingston greater improvements are to be found than at Portsmouth (Hatter's Bay.) It was early in the summer that most of the village lots were sold by auction; and now hardly four months have elapsed, before a great many of these lots are built upon and occupied. The Messrs. M'Leod, (brothers to the lion of the day) have erected four stone houses in one row, for a tavern, store, and boarding-house, which are already taken. Other new dwellings are scattered, here and there, over the village plot. Four or five large wharves have been built, and others are making. The Ottawa and Rideau Company, who purchased largely at the sale, are intending to build capaciously, preparatory to next spring's exportations of flour and wheat; and other purchasers will not be backward in taking advantage of the opening which presents itself here to invest capital to advantage. In fact, so great demand for lots has been created, and so much have they risen in value, that it is the intention shortly to offer at auction, in building lots, the whole of that adjoining property, once belonging to the late Mr. James Kirk. The new avenue called Union Street, will soon connect Kingston with Portsmouth, by a direct lime.