- Norwalk Daily Reflector, 6 Dec 1890
- Full Text
Death of J. C. Lockwood
The death of Mr. Lockwood cast a gloom over the quiet town of Milan and the whole community will mourn the loss of this noble and generous man. He was a man of high integrity and of great business capacity. He was always liberal in his gifts to worthy objects. He furnished the money to build the Presbyterian chapel, which bears his name, “The Lockwood Chapel,” and for many other noble objects to beautify our village. He was an old and well respected resident of Milan, having lived here for seventy years. He has been engaged in business as merchant, vessel owner and banker for over 55 years. In all his business relations, he illustrated a high minded purpose, keeping his word as good as his bond. His death will be more fully realized as time passes on.
James C. Lockwood was born in Norwalk, Conn., November 14th, 1814. His father and uncle Ralph Lockwood carried on a mercantile business in New York City, on Pearl street, under firm name of R. & G. Lockwood. In 1817 they removed their goods and business to Gibbs’ corners, (now corner of East Main st. and old state road) Norwalk, Ohio, and opened a store in a hewed log house. It was a trading post for the white settlers and Indians. In 1819 they moved to Merry’s Mills, where a postoffice was opened, with Ralph Lockwood as postmaster. In a short time the name was changed to Milan. The family moved to Milan in 1820, when Mr. J. C. Lockwood was about six years old. His education was completed before he was 14 years old, and in 1828 he entered the employ of Hyde & Andrews in a general store. The next year he was clerk for Nathan Jenkins, who occupied a brick store on the corner where Mr. M. Harter’s drug store now stands. In 1836, in the fall, he commenced business for himself as a merchant in the store formerly occupied by Hyde & Andrews. The next year he moved into the Jenkins’ store. In March 1840, Francis G. Lockwood, his cousin, was associated with him in business, under the firm name of J. C. Lockwood & Co., and they moved into the corner store, No. 1 Lockwood block, then a wooden building. In 1848 F. G. Lockwood withdrew and J. C. Lockwood continued alone in the same store. In 1866 he had become so successful as to conduct in connection with his store a brokerage and exchange business. The same year the firm of Stoddard & Remlinger was formed, J. C. Lockwood being a silent partner. In 1873 Mr. Remlinger withdrew and the firm of Stoddard & Remlinger was formed, J. C. Lockwood being a silent partner. In 1873 Mr. Remlinger withdrew and the firm of Stoddard, Lockwood & Smith was formed. In 1883 R. M. Lockwood and F. C. Smith composed the firm of Lockwood & Smith, J. C. Lockwood remaining a silent partner. In 1882 the Milan Banking Co. was started, with J. C. Lockwood President, and L. L. Stoddard cashier.
Mr. Lockwood was largely interested in vessel building in Milan, with Capt. Henry Kelley and others. The first schooner that he was interested in was named the “Minot Mitchell;” this was as early as 1852. He was generally successful, making a great deal of money on the lakes, and continued in the vessel business until he owned some of the best schooners on the lakes, and of late years two first class steam propellers.
Mr. Lockwood was married to Miss Louisa Choate in 1835, at the age of 21. They commenced housekeeping in a dwelling where Minor Curtiss & Son’s store now stands. One child was born to them, a beautiful girl, who only lived to be 5 years old, dying in 1850. He afterwards lived in the residence now occupied by Mr. C. Roscoe. In 1847, he built the fine residence where he died. His first wife died June 20th, 1876.
He again was married to Mary W. Van Norman, of Cleveland, August 5th, 1830 [sic: 1880]. To this union there was born one child, a son, who is 8 years old.
Mr. Lockwood always enjoyed good health until about August 7th, 1888, when he was overcome by the intense heat. Shortly after that he had a stroke of paralysis; in March, 1889, he had the second attack; and on November 6th, 1890, he had the third, from which he never recovered. Dr. S. E. Simmons attended him until he died. His wife, a most estimable woman, was in continual attendance upon him. She was most devoted to his wants in every way. When Mr. Lockwood was taken sick her first thoughts were of his wants and comforts. She never left his bedside, but with tender and loving hands soothed his last hours. Mrs. Lockwood and her little son, Jay, have the sympathy of the entire community.
The funeral was held at his late residence on Saturday, November 29th, 1890. Rev. J. H. Walters, of Cincinnati, O., officiated, assisted by the Rev. G. M. Knapp, of Milan. The remains were deposited in a vault. Thus was laid at rest one of the finest of men and one that Milan never can forget, he having left so many monuments here to his memory.
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Date of Publication
- 6 Dec 1890
- Personal Name(s)
- Lockwood, James C.
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Ohio, United States
Latitude: 41.3011448805851 Longitude: -82.6039479629517
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Maritime History of the Great LakesEmail