British Whig (Kingston, ON), July 21, 1847
- Full Text
p.3 Launch - Iron Steamer - On Saturday last, a new and beautiful Iron Steamer was launched at Niagara. She is called the Magnet, and is intended to ply this City and Montreal, which must prove of great accommodation to the community in this section of the country. She is to be commanded by Captain Sutherland, who is well known as one of the most gentlemanly captains on the Lake. He is also the owner of a number of shares in the vessel. The day passed off in the most agreeable manner, the weather being exceedingly fine, and the arrangements conducted most satisfactorily. A party of Ladies and Gentlemen from this City, left in the Telegraph in the morning, in order to witness the Launch, and all speak highly of the appearance of the Magnet. The Niagara Dock Company deserve much credit for the very workmanlike manner in which they have built this noble vessel. To Capt. Sutherland much credit is due for his spirit and enterprise, and to him will the Hamiltonians be chiefly indebted for this magnificent Steamer, and we but express a universal feeling, in wishing the Captain and his vessel every possible success. [Hamilton Gazette, July 8th]
The Canada Gazette contains a proclamation declaring the village of Edwardsburgh in the Johnstown District, a Port of Entry and Clearance, under the name and style of Port Edwardsburgh, and Prince Edward's Bay, in the District of Prince Edward, has had like privileges afforded, under the name of Port Milford.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- July 21, 1847
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Rick Neilson
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes