THE MURRAY CANAL.
We re-publish the following important document at this particular time, in order that the subject may attract the attention of some legislator who wishes to become deservedly popular.
To the Town Council of the Town of Belleville - The Committee to whom has been referred the project of constructing a canal, to connect the waters of the Bay of Quinte and Lake Ontario, at the head of the former, beg leave to report:-
That the Country bordering upon the shores of the Bay, is equal to any portion of Canada, in respect to fertility of soil, extent of water power, salubrity of climate, and beauty of scenery. That the Bay itself, extending from Kingston, westward in a line nearly parallel with Lake Ontario, a distance of 100 miles, offers facilities for navigation to the largest class of vessels, and that the head of this Bay is only five miles from Presqu'Isle, one of the best Harbors on the Lake.
That the products of this part of the Country, particularly sawed lumber, of which a large quantity is annually made, have lately found markets in the State of New York, and the Western part of the Province, with which a large return trade has sprung up, and that to reach those quarters, vessels sailing from the upper part of the Bay, are subject to much delay and expense on their way to the Lake.
The Emigrants in search of advantageous settlements, are generally pre-determined to proceed direct as far as Toronto, which is the Seat of Government and of the Land Granting Departments, before they complete their arrangements; or if by chance their attention is directed to the Bay of Quinte, it is with the disheartening prospect of having to return to Kingston in order to resume their course, and thus they pass us by entirely. Whilst travellers and tourists whose favorable representations add greatly to promote the interests of the places through which they pass, rarely notice the Bay of Quinte country, by reason of its being out of their courses.
These disadvantages would, in the opinion of your Committee, be removed, if a Canal were cut between the head of the Bay and Presque Isle, and they venture to urge upon the Council, the employment of every means within its power, for the accomplishment of the work.
By such channel a great savings of time and money would be effected in the trade of the whole country between Napanee and the Carrying Place with the Southern and Western parts of the Lake, and a communication between Kingston and Toronto through the Bay would be opened, suited to all classes of vessels, and in the Spring and Fall of the year, when stormy weather prevails, far more secure than that by the Lake - rates of passage and freight would be diminished - our shores would be visited and land taken up by Emigrants and other desirable settlers - trade would be fostered - real estate be greatly enhanced in value - and the whole line of country upon both sides of the Bay, would profit by the stimulus that would be given.
Your Committee beg leave to state, that in 1824 an Act was passed by the Parliament of Upper Canada, whereby a sum of 1,000 Pds. (in addition to the sum of 3000 Pds. previously bestowed,) was granted towards the expense of Reporting upon the improvement of the internal navigation of the Providence - and power was expressly given to Commissioners, "to cause a survey to be made by competent persons, of the Isthmus between Presque Isle and the head of the Bay of Quinte, and estimates to be prepared of the sum necessary to connect the same by a navigable canal."
Your Committee have also to state that in the original survey of the Township of Murray - through which the proposed Canal would be cut, a Tract of Six Thousand Acres of Land was reserved for the purpose of the work. It was afterwards diverted from that object and sold, but the Government has pledged itself to advance the full value of the land, (which has been estimated to be eighteen thousand pounds,) whenever the construction of the Canal is undertaken. The level of the waters is so nearly even, that no check beyond a Guard Lock would be required - and it has been well ascertained, that each terminus would open into deep water with hard bottom.
The Committee do not consider it necessary to enlarge any further upon the importance of the undertaking; but they would suggest to the Council, the expediency of entering into an immediate Correspondence with the other Municipal Corporations representing this section of the Province, and of inviting their cooperation in an application to the Government or the Legislature, or in the use of such other means, as may effectually obtain that attention to the subject which it deserves.
All of which is respectfully submitted.
F. McANNANY, Chairman.
Belleville, 24th August, 1850.
Trade With the U.S. - possible closing of Welland Canal against American vessels discussed, as well as changes to American tariffs.
PROBABLE LOSS OF THE STEAMER SOUTHERNER.
Detroit, April 6th, 4 P.M.
A captain just arrived, reports seeing a steamer off Point Au Pelee, Canada, with pipes gone and cargo thrown overboard. He thinks it is the Southerner. Passengers by the May Flower say they passed great quantities of goods and merchandize floating.
The captain of the schooner Belmont passed the wreck of the Southerner yesterday, with one pipe gone, and they were throwing over her deckload.
Later - There is no doubt but it is the Southerner. She is probably a total wreck.
April 9th - Schr. Jane Ann Marsh, Port Hope, 804 bbls. flour, J.F. McCuaig, 1540 bbls. flour, J.A. Glassford.
Schr. Ann J. Brown, Port Hope, 1150 bbls. flour, J.T. McCuaig, 200 bush. wheat, 34 kegs butter, 11 kegs lard, 12 bbls. beans, Wm. Bowen.
Str. Northerner, Oswego, mixed cargo.
10th - Str. Bay State, Ogdensburgh, passengers and baggage.
Str. Lord Elgin, Ogdensburgh, mixed cargo.
Schr. Lord Seaton, Port Sarnia, 16,996 pipe west india and standard staves, Calvin & Cook.
April 9th - Str. Ontario, Lewiston, mixed cargo.
10th - Ferry Boat Farmer, Wolfe Island, 16 cows and heifers.
Ferry Boat Mary Ann, Wolfe Island, 24 cows.
The Royal Mail Steamer Magnet, Capt. Sutherland, will leave the St. Lawrence Wharf, (late McLennan's,) for Coburg and Toronto & Hamilton, this day, at 3 o'clock P.M.
St. Lawrence Wharf, April 11th, 1851.
The Royal Mail Steamer Princess Royal, Capt. James Dick, will leave St. Lawrence Wharf (late McLennan's), for Toronto and Hamilton, calling at intermediate ports, weather permitting, on Saturday, at 3 o'clock. Kingston, April 11th, 1851.
The Steamer Lord Elgin, Capt. A. Farlinger, will leave the Princess Street Wharf, on Saturday morning, at 6 o'clock, 12th April, for Dickinson's Landing, calling at intermediate Ports.
Kingston, April 11th, 1851.
U.S. LINE OF LAKE STEAMERS.
Will leave Browne's Wharf Tomorrow at 8 o'clock A.M., for Sackett's Harbor, Oswego, Lewiston. Brown's Wharf, April 11th, 1851.
Will leave Browne's Wharf this Afternoon at 2 o'clock, for Prescott and Ogdensburgh, calling at the intermediate ports.
Browne's Wharf, April 11th, 1851.
OUR SPRING WALK.
THE WHARVES AND WHARFINGERS OF KINGSTON.
As various changes have taken place this season in the location of the several Forwarders and Wharfingers, a concise notice of such establishment may be found useful, and not out of place in this "Our Walk."
MCINTOSH'S WHARF. - Mr. Donald McIntosh will do his business on the same wharf that he occupied last year, together with the same storehouse; being a portion of the extensive wharves and warehouses belonging to John Counter, Esq., in the vicinity of the Marine Railway Yard. Mr. McIntosh's is the most westerly of any of the Kingston Forwarding Establishments.
BROWNE'S WHARF. - Messrs. E. Browne & Co. continue to occupy this handsome and capacious wharf, with its fire-proof stone warehouses. It is the regular stopping place of the American Line of Lake and River Steamers; and also, of the Bay of Quinte Steamboats. The Customs Department have a Bonded Warehouse on this wharf, which is perhaps the most commodious for doing business of any in the city. It is also the stopping place of the freight steamers and schooners, owned by or consigned to Messrs. E. Browne & Co. The reported alteration in the route of the American Line of Lake and River Steamers does not take place until after the 15th of May, if then; meanwhile one of the following four superb steamboats, the Ontario, Bay State, Northerner and Cataract, will touch twice every day at this wharf going up at 8 o'clock in the morning; and going down at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.
THE ST. LAWRENCE WHARF. - This wharf formerly known as "Counter's Wharf," "McLennan's Wharf," &c., &c., has passed this season into the occupation of Mr. Bowen, long time Captain of the steamer Passport, who hence forward will carry on the business of forwarder, Commission Agent, and General Wharfinger. Mr. Hugh McLennan, the occupant of last year, has removed to Montreal, with the intention of doing a like trade in that city. The St. Lawrence Wharf is the regular stopping place of the Toronto and Hamilton Mail Steamers, whose Kingston Agent Mr. Bowen is. The Customs Department have a Bonded Warehouse on this wharf, which from its central situation, and its immediate vicinity to the Customs House, is always sure of doing a large portion of the Kingston business. In addition to the warehouses on the St. Lawrence Wharf, Mr. Bowen has rented for the present year, the very large storehouses on Garratt's Wharf, together with its water frontage, docks and slips, so that he has ample means to do any amount of forwarding business. Here is lying the new steamer St. Lawrence, Captain Howard, now fitting for the Montreal trade. An infinity of alterations and improvements have been made on board of her; but as this fine vessel is scarcely ready for inspection, we shall pass her by for the present, intending to pay full and faithful attention to her merits at the very earliest opportunity.
HOOKER & HOLTON'S WHARF - The long established firm of Hooker & Holton have this year shifted their Kingston place of doing business, and have leased the wharf once known as "the Rideau Wharf," and recently, as "Fraser's Wharf," at the foot of Clarence Street. This will be the stopping place of two of the River Mail Steamers, the Highlander and Lord Elgin, and also of Messrs. Hooker & Holton's Line of Freight Steamers. The Kingston Agent of this Forwarding House is Mr Elijah Hooker, and his office is on the wharf.
SCOBELL'S WHARF. - Mr. Richard Scobell is making a large addition to his already extensive premises, by carrying his wharf easterly to the full limits of his water lot. The large warehouse on this wharf is used as a general storehouse; and the warehouse in rear is filled with 2000 barrels of pork, the result of one year's packing, which we understand the worthy wharfinger intends to carry himself to an English market.
THE COMMERCIAL WHARF. - This wharf is occupied by the Hon. John Hamilton, and is the stopping place of the Passport, Ottawa and New Era, River and Lake Mail Steamers. The Commercial Wharf is too well known to need further description.
MCPHERSON & CRANE'S WHARF. - This excellent place of business has been long known as "Hooker & Henderson's Wharf," but this season it has come into the possession of Messrs. McPherson & Crane. It is at the foot of Princess Street, directly opposite the Commercial Wharf, and in the very heart of the city, with the largest and most commodious warehouse of any in town. It will be the regular stopping place of McPherson & Crane's "Express Line" of steamers from Montreal to Hamilton, the Champion and the Comet, and also of their Freight Line of Lake Boats. The freight Line of Lake and River Steamers belonging to this Forwarding House is very complete, consisting exclusive of the steamers above mentioned, of the Western Miller, Commerce, and Scotland, all full-sized steamboats, capable of carrying large cargoes, and able to contend against the most stormy weather of the lake. The intention is to despatch a steamer every other day, for Kingston, Toronto and Hamilton, from the Canal Basin, Montreal.
There are several other wharves in Kingston Harbor, besides those we have enumerated, but none doing a Forwarding or General Business, being chiefly occupied as Wood Wharves, and private Warehouses.