- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Photograph of W. H. Smith's steamboat FRANCES SMITH at Boyd's wharf in Owen Sound about 1867-68. Boyd's wharf was located about 1/4 mile outisde the down town because the Sydenham River was prone to silting up the harbour. This was the only wharf capable of unloading large steamers until 1868. The image of the Frances Smith is from 1867 or 1868, while she still had 2 stacks. At the time she was on a regular run from Owen Sound to Cape Rich to Meaford and finally Collingwood where the "Northern RR" from Toronto terminated.
- There was no railroad to Owen Sound until 1873, so the Frances Smith was a vital link in the settlement of the area. In 1868 the Frances Smith ran agound at Key harbour and wintered on the now named Frances Smith Shoal. The wrecked vessel was retreived in the spring of 1869 and towed to Detoit where extensive repairs were done by June 1869. These repairs included the addition of a "texas" cabin, the removal of one stack and a full refurbishing of the interior.
- Date of Original:
- Scott Cameron
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes