The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 22, 1880

Full Text


Lake Disasters.

Receipt of Harrowing News - Loss of Kingstonians in the Great Gale.

The gale that swept over Lake Michigan during the past few weeks has caused much shipwreck and carried sorrow to many households. Among the latest wrecks are the prop. Europe and sch. G.M. Neelon. The latter loaded 4744 sacks of salt at Gunn's wharf, for H.H. Hayden, Chicago, and left here in tow of the prop. Europe on the 7th October. The despatch received today reads as follows;

The propellor Europe, due at Chicago last Friday, and the sch. G.M. Neelon which the former had in tow, are missing. The propellor plied between Montreal and Chicago and is valued at $25,000. She had a crew of 25 and a number of passengers. The theory is advanced that the boots and shoes found on the Eastern shore may be of the cargo of this vessel.

The Europe was built in Oct. 1870 and is valued at $17,000. She is owned by Capt. S. Neelon, of St. Catharines. She rates A 2 1/2. The captain Jeremiah Clifford, and mate Geo. Clifford, are well-known Kingstonians, for whose friends much sympathy is felt. The father of the unfortunate man lives in this city on Ontario Street, adjoining Messrs. Gunn & Co.'s wholesale establishment. Jeremiah was married and resides in St. Catharines. George is still single and was the chief support of his parents in their declining years. By the disaster the happiness of 2 homes has been destroyed.

The sch. G.M. Neelon was built at Port Dalhousie in Sept. 1872. She was owned by Capt. Norris, and valued at $13,800. She classed A 2. Her captain, Andrew Welsh, was a skilful navigator. Since boyhood he had been sailing, having had command of several vessels. His son, William Welsh (unmarried) and a young man named Jeremiah Hurley (formerly engaged in the Whig office) were members of the crew, and their loss is a grievous blow to friends here.

Another despatch says: Capt. Neelon, the owner, has received word that the sch. G.M. Neelon is at South Manitou Island, all right, the Europe, which was towing her, having let her go about 50 miles above the Manitoulins. He had not heard from the Europe, but is confident she is all safe, being windbound somewhere.

(Inter-Ocean) It has been reported that the Europe was seen on the rocks at Racine reef early Sunday morning. The propellor Tecumseh was on that dangerous shoal on Sunday and succeeded in getting off. The propellor Prussia, Captain Zealand, and the propellor Scotia, Captain Scott, which were 2 days behind the Europe, have both been in Chicago for several days. The Neelon, they said, might have been driven back to the foot of the lake and has not yet been able to work up here again. Even in her case they had fears. It had been understood that the Europe had put into Milwaukee, but Capt. Zealand was there and the Europe had not been heard from.

The Europe left Montreal on Oct. 6th, and passed Port Huron on Monday of last week. Her cargo consists of 300 casks of soda ash, consigned to J.S. Kirk, 250 sacks salt, consigned to Fowler Bros, 200 boxes of tin, consigned to the order of Alfred Herrod, and several lots of liquor, besides sundries. The officers are as follows: Master - Captain Jeremiah Clifford, of St. Catharines; First Mate - George Clifford, brother of the Captain; Second Mate - William Rea; First Engineer - John Stevens. Late last night it was learned that the Neelon is ashore at the Manitous, but no tidings could be learned of the Europe.

Europe All Right.

Chicago 4:30 p.m. - The prop. Europe has arrived at Chicago all right.

p.3 Wind Wafts - Mr. D.D. Calvin himself superintended the job of taking the steamer H.A. Calvin off Jackstraw Light.

Capt. Milligan, in command of the sch. Richardson, is a Garden Islander. He was born there and was made a captain by Messrs. Calvin & Breck.

Marine Notes.

The Hiram A. Calvin was taken off the shoal at Gananoque yesterday. She has suffered little damage.

The sch. Elgin, bound down, run on Snake Island shoal yesterday. The steamer Traveller went to her assistance.

Passed Through the Welland Canal for Kingston: schrs. Ida Walker, Wallaceburg, wheat; Mary Merritt, Toledo, wheat; M.C. Upper, Toledo, timber.

The sch. Belle, from Sodus, is delivering 150 tons of coal for the Kingston Gas Company; and the sch. Annie M. Foster, from Oswego, has arrived with 152 tons of coal for Swift & Co.

This morning the str. Princess Louise, on her way up the river, picked up a punt near the Spectacles. It contained a couple of shovels. The punt is supposed to have broken loose from some mooring.

An item in last evenings paper gave the impression that the St. Lawrence & Chicago Forwarding Co. at Portsmouth had more business than it could attend to. This is not so. Every vessel that reaches that place is promptly discharged. The item should have read that a "dozen vessels were awaiting a favourable wind for departure" instead of "awaiting transhipment."

After delivering some of the merchandise taken from the deck of the sunken steamer, the Pierrepont took aboard a second pump at Garden Island and returned to the Lake Michigan, one pump having failed to raise the boat. At 5 o'clock last night the propellor was raised sufficiently to let the diver, Robert Donnelly, get to work. The forefoot of the propellor was carried away, leaving a great hole. Blankets were stuffed into the orifice and then over all a piece of canvass was placed. The propellor left for Ogdensburg where she will go on the dry-dock for repairs.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 22, 1880
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 22, 1880