The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 25, 1880

Full Text

p.2 The loss of the Alpena is beginning to be charged to a rotten hull instead of to Providence, who usually is the scapegoat of owners of unseaworthy vessels.


Marine Notes.

The sch. Undine arrived at Portsmouth this afternoon grain laden.

The sch. White Oak is loading stone at the Penitentiary for Charlotte.

The sch. M.L. Breck is loading iron ore at the esplanade for Charlotte.

Matters in marine circles are very dull. The arrivals and departures are few.

The water in the St. Lawrence River is 20" lower than it was in June last.

The last raft of the season left Garden Island for Quebec in tow of the steamer Calvin.

The water is rising at the Lime Kiln crossing, vessels drawing 14' having passed over.

The only vessel that passed through the Welland Canal on Saturday for Kingston was the sch. Annie Falconer, from Chatham, wheat laden.

The sch. Dauntless, with barley for Buffalo, ran on the tower shoal yesterday. She was pulled off by the steamer Pierrepont.

The str. Hero left on Saturday for Belleville, but only got as far as Rockwood Asylum, where she remained until Saturday morning. The storm was too severe to venture further.

The American insurance companies will be strained to meet the losses they will incur owing to the recent storms. Canadian underwriters, it is thought, have escaped with comparatively slight hurt.

On Saturday night the schrs. Blake, Gulnare and Van Straubenzie ran past the lighthouse at Port Dalhousie in the storm and went ashore on the beach over the pier. The Blake and Gulnare were taken off yesterday afternoon.

The sch. Twilight in entering the harbour last night ran upon Point Frederick shoal. This morning she was lightened of 8000 bushels of her cargo and then taken off. The Twilight was from Toronto and carried 13,250 bush wheat.

The Oliver Mowat left Swifts wharf on Saturday for Chicago laden with phosphate. On account of the snow storm she was compelled to run back, reaching Portsmouth in a bad condition. Her standing jib was split. She departed a second time at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon.

Friday evening the sch. Anne Gloster ? cleared from Toronto to Kingston. The wind was strong, and on going out of the West Gap the vessel stuck in the mud. She waited for a turn of the wind which took her off. Her rigging was badly strained and a seam opened at her water line.

The Olive Branch - Capt. Dix, of the White Oak, who came down the lake on Friday, says that he believes the vessel has broken in two. He was certain of this from the appearance of the masts. The foremast was all out of shape, the main boom and gaff end stuck up about 10'. The main sail had been taken off. He imagines that the sunken vessel has settled upon a rock and that the bow protrudes over the ledge. The action of the waves has broken the vessel up. There are no tidings of the unfortunate crew. The reward for the body of Capt. Aull still holds good.

Wind Wafts - The boiler of the old steamer Queen, when repaired, will be taken to the Mississippi mines.

Brave Captain - On Saturday evening last the sch. Sir C.T. Van Straubenzie, from Kingston, was saved from going on the beach at Port Dalhousie, principally through the bravery and good judgement of Capt. Alex Milligan, late of the schooner Bismarck, now in charge of the schooner Richardson. No other means being found to get a line to the Straubenzie, he fastened one round his waist, jumped off the pier and swam out to her with it, and then swam back and was one of the most active of the party on the tug which finally brought her into port. There was a heavy sea running at the time, and it was a very dangerous feat to perform. All honour to the brave Garden Islander.

Late Captain Aull - Captain Aull, of the lost sch. Olive Branch, was the youngest son of the late Andrew Aull, merchant of the town of Newtonhamilton, Ireland. Fourteen years ago, then 19 years of age, he crossed the Atlantic and landed in Kingston. Though strongly advised against it he chose sailing for a profession. Success smiled upon his efforts, for it was not long ere he worked himself up to the rank of captain. He will not soon be forgotten here.

Got The Contract Again - The contract for supplying the wood for the steamers of the Ontario & Richelieu Navigation Co. has again been awarded to Mr. Isaac Noble, who has now had the contract for 4 years.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 25, 1880
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 25, 1880