The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 1, 1880

Full Text


Marine Notes.

The schr. White Oak has arrived from Chicago with 150 tons of coal for R. Crawford and Co.

The elevators at the upper end of the harbour were unable to work today in consequence of the severity of the blow.

The schr. Gazelle arrived at South Bay on Friday from Oswego. About 11 o'clock, when 15 miles from Oswego, she had a collision with an unknown vessel. No person injured. Damage about $250. The other schr. was slightly damaged.

In contradiction to the rumour in circulation, that the Welland Canal will be closed on the 15th November, shippers are informed by the Superintendent that the Canal will be kept open as usual and as long as the weather will permit.

The schr. Ariadne, while being towed into Mill Point harbour on Saturday, ran into a lumber pile and broke her horn off short. The steamer Veruna (sic - Varuna ) is being hauled out there, having broken her wheel on her route on Friday. She will get a new one there.

The schr. Tranchemontagne on entering Oswego port this morning about four o'clock struck the new pier and went all to pieces. The crew were saved. The vessel and cargo are a total loss. The vessel is owned by Capt. Sherwood, of Brighton, and is partly insured. Cargo insured.

The Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Company on Friday ceased running daily boats to Hamilton, and began the tri-weekly programme. The daily boats have been continued this season more than a month later than usual. The steamers of the tri-weekly line are the Spartan, Algerian, and the Corsican.

The arrivals for the M.T. Co. today are: schrs. Erie Belle, Hamilton, 14,000 bushels wheat; and Wawanosh, Toronto, 20,000 bush wheat. The Elfin arrived from Montreal with five barges carrying 170 tons rails and 75 tons of coal, and left with four barges having a combined cargo of 80,000 bush of grain and 100 tons of phosphate.

The steamer Picton, on her way with a heavy cargo of freight from Trenton to Montreal, Saturday night, stopped at Cressy, intending to remain till morning on account of darkness and the storm. A passing tug pulled her out from the wharf Sunday morning and let go her lines and the steamer was blown on shore. The tug Elfin, of Kingston, pulled her off.

On Saturday the schrs. Cecelia and J.H. Breck, the former from Wallaceburg, timber-laden, and the latter from Union, with wheat, passed through the Welland Canal. The J.H. Breck arrived first at Port Colborne, after a long and tedious trip. Eleven days were occupied in loading off the shore, and but for the able management of Capt. Booth would likely have been numbered with those ashore during the recent storms. After loading it took 3 days and a half to beat down Lake Erie against northeast winds.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 1, 1880
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 1, 1880