The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 8, 1880

Full Text

p.2 Wind Wafts - The sch. J.R. Merritt was 79 bushels short of her cargo when discharged on Saturday evening.

Mr. Anthony Malone of Garden Island has purchased the sch. Bismarck from L.W. Breck & Co. of Kingston.

p.3 Recovery - captain of sch. Pride of America and Henry Daryaw both recovering - details.

The Saunders Assault - The 4 men who assaulted Capt. Saunders, of the sch. Eureka, at Port Hope, have been sentenced to 3 months imprisonment each. Today they were to be tried for the larceny of a black coat belonging to the same Captain.

Severely Injured - A telegram from Chicago today announces the safe arrival of the sch. Oliver Mowat, from Kingston, phosphate-laden. A deck hand named Gouyeau, from Howe Island, fell from the mizzen-mast, breaking an arm and leg. He was put off at Sheboygan.

Party of Hunters - The yacht Olive, from Warners Island, came in at 3:30 o'clock with a party of sportsmen who had been shooting up the Bay of Quinte. Ducks were found to be very scarce.

Destructive Hurricane - the condition of the weather, the terrible storm, and its effects on land....

.... A Night at South Bay - The captain of the Florence Howard that ran to this port yesterday for protection says he left Shannonville on Friday loaded with ties for Oswego and joined several vessels anchored in Macdonald's Cove, including the Annandale and Julia. About midnight he left for Oswego and ran along nicely until about 3 o'clock on Saturday afternoon, when he was compelled to run back in order to save his deckload. He reached South Bay in safety and threw out his anchors. The wind at this time was blowing from the South. It shortly afterwards veered to the south-west, then west, and then began the hurricane. It was a terrible night. The waves dashed over his craft frequently. The sch. Julia alongside of him pitched fearfully. His vessel dragged her anchors so much on Sunday morning that the captain left in order to avoid drifting on Timber Island. He shipped the anchors about 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon and came here. Some of the ties washed overboard and the yawl was carried away. The captain reported that the White Oak was at the head of South Bay, the sch. M.C. Upper anchored 6 miles below Timber Island, and the W.J. Suffel at Snake Island.

Harbour Accidents - About 3 o'clock Sunday morning, while the gale was at its height, the sch. Sligo moored at the Kingston and Montreal Forwarding Co's wharf, parted her lines and dislodged the spiles to which she was fastened. She ran between the shipyard wharf and a crib, bow on, carrying away her bowsprit, jib-boom, and fore-topmast. Her square-sail was blown open and torn considerably. The vessel collided with the sch. Lady Hamilton breaking the latter's bow line and setting her adrift. The Lily's rail was also broken. The Sligo knocked down the shear poles supporting the storm drum. They fell across the Sligo's deck. The jibbooms rigging of both vessels became entangled. The crew of the Sligo dropped anchor and held her in position. The Lily Hamilton, as soon as released, drifted down the harbour striking the Ontario Foundry's wharf damaging it and driving several tons of the coal piled thereon into the water. The vessel was still carried down the harbour moving past the steamer Corsican tied at Swift's dock, which she struck, and then went square upon the shoal at the Martello Tower.

This disaster had no sooner occurred than the elevator Sparrow, belonging to the K. & M. Forwarding Co., pulled the spile to which her line was attached and went off before the wind. It passed the grounded schooner Lily Hamilton, ran between the schooners Pilot and Sweepstakes anchored off the M.T. Co's wharf, collided with the Cataraqui Bridge, was turned around and blown up on the Barriefield shore.

Fifteen minutes after the Sligo had broken loose the barges Minnie and Princess snapped their lines. They drifted across the bows of the Sligo to which the captains ineffectually endeavoured to fasten lines. An effort was made to cast the anchor of the barge Minnie, but it caught on the rail and could not be removed. Both barges ran upon the rocks near Point Frederick. The Princess was laden with 9000 bushels of wheat, from the sch. Lily Hamilton. She grounded high and dry. The barge Minnie acted as a breakwater and prevented the grain in the Princess from being damaged and lost. The Minnie is full of water and will be considerably damaged. The tug H.A. Calvin today raised the Minnie. The Princess was to be lightened and then pulled off. Men were at work at the elevator yesterday and got her on ways and jack screws. The tug Franklin attempted to pull her off but broke her hawser, and it became too dark to continue the work. She was taken off today.

Two piers at the Cataraqui Bridge, one near the toll house and the other at the Barriefield end, have been damaged a good deal, the bridge in consequence sagging about 2 feet at the former place. Repairs were at once commenced, and in the meantime traffic across the structure stopped as much as possible.

A pile of lumber was lifted off one wharf, at Rathbun's yard, opposite the Grove Inn, carried about 40' and deposited on another dock, the vacant place being covered by stones washed from the adjoining shore.

The sch. Lily Hamilton had about 2000 bushels of her cargo damaged. When about 1000 bushels had been taken out of her with buckets the workmen struck for 50 cents an hour. This rate was refused and the men left. Capt. Taylor stepped into the breach, procuring the barge Odessa and proceeded with the lightening. About 5 o'clock the tug Active tried to pull her off but failed. This morning the M.T. Co.'s elevator finished the unloading and the Active succeeded in getting her off. She leaked greatly.

The sch. Nellie Sherwood is ashore at Weller's Bay. She lost her canvas and her anchors. She had a cargo of barley from Consecon. The schrs. Hannah Butler and Blanch (sic), with barley, broke from their moorings and drifted ashore near the east pier. The sch. Eliza Fisher also broke her moorings but was rescued before much damage was done. The Cobourg wharves have suffered to the amount of about $600.

The sch. Jessie Drummond arrived on Saturday evening. She had been ashore at Moormey's Bay, near Toledo, for 11 days. The Captain's barometer indicated a severe storm and he hastened into port. He did not pay his men off, and it is lucky for him as the wind blew so terribly that they were much required during the night.

The schrs. Arrival and Speedwell passed Kingston yesterday afternoon for Ogdensburg. They were fairly flying along. They were somewhat injured.

The employees at the K. & M. Forwarding Co. got a number of lines attached to the Marine Railway dock and saved the barges Siren and Odessa from following the coarse of other crafts which had left their moorings.

An old barge, lying in front of McCorkell's boat house, was split in 2 about 9 o'clock Sunday morning. Several small boats were thrown high upon the shore.

The Hastings, lying at the Ontario Foundry wharf, broke her moorings and pounded against the wharf. Her stem and side was broken. She also lost one of her lifeboats. The steamer Corsican reached Swift's wharf Saturday evening from Montreal. During the night she rolled violently, smashing the wharf somewhat and literally making kindling wood of two fenders. Yesterday morning she was run further into the slip and there rested easily.

The schrs. Erie Belle and R. Morwood broke away from their moorings at Portsmouth and were driven across to the Penitentiary dock. Both had their bowsprits carried away and their rigging damaged.

The sch. Fanny Campbell, moored at McMillan's wharf, (formerly Morton's) pounded so much as to have her bulwarks stove in and be otherwise damaged. The lake shore above Cataraqui is strewn with shingles and lumber, some of it marked "Rathbun." Evidently some vessel has lost her deckload.

The sch. Norman lost her steering gear on her way down the lake. She reached Collinsby in safety.

A two-masted vessel is ashore at the foot of Amherst Island. Her name is not known.

At Collinsby the sch. Canada pulled her timber heads out. She was well fastened before further damage was done.

The sch. Sea Foam is ashore at Cape Vincent. She is loaded with 3000 bush of barley.

The str. Magnet lost one of her ropes.

Island Occurences - The sch. A.G. Ryan anchored in Dawson's Bay, loading barley, went ashore. She is about 2 feet out of water. The vessel will be lightened today and then taken off. She is leaking a good deal.

The sch. Alexander, light, lying at anchor near the Ryan, also went ashore. She will not be much damaged. She is owned by the Merchants Bank.

The sch. Oriental, timber laden, flew into Garden Island yesterday afternoon without a stitch of canvass.

The sch. Norway, for Garden Island, was in company with the Oriental as far as South Bay Point, but has not been heard from as yet.

Seeking Shelter - The little schooner Fiat, of Picton, ran into this harbour for shelter on Sunday morning. She rolled fearfully but received no damage.

The sch. Mary Merritt had a rough experience during the gale. Wheat-laden from Port Dalhousie for Ogdensburg, she was off Genessee when the gale struck her. She thenmade for Kingston. Great waves swept over her repeatedly. The cabin was filled with water. Men were kept at the pumps constantly and sails were allowed to be torn rather than have the pumps stopped. The yawl, big anchor, thirty fathoms of chain, square sail and jibs were lost. The cargo is considerably damaged. The sailors worked heroically, remaining closely at the pumps from Saturday evening until last evening.

The schooners Jessie Scarth and S. Neelon, both for Ogdensburg, ran into Kingston for protection.

Lake Disasters - The sch. Baltic lost her mainsail, boom and gaff. She was bound for Oswego.

The Twilight, from Toronto to Ogdensburg, lost her foresail, 2 jibs, fore boom and gaff, and all the gearing. Her foremast head was also sprung. The gale struck the vessel off Presque Isle. She was frequently buried in the water. Her cargo will be somewhat damaged.

The sch. Grantham lost her yawl and the Azov her jibs. The former was en route to Ogdensburg and the latter to Oswego.

The sch. W.J. Suffel, which anchored off 9 Mile Point yesterday, was towed in here this afternoon. Her rudder post is gone and her sails badly riddled. She is lumber laden.

The Captain of the sch. Alexandra reports seeing a small vessel ashore at Indian Point. She had evidently dragged her anchor.

Belleville Nov. 7th - The strength of the wind had the effect of lowering the water 10 inches in the Bay.

Oshawa Nov. 7th - The sch. Bermuda which left here last night for Oswego, with 9000 bushels of barley, is ashore and a total wreck, near Newtonville. Both vessel and cargo are insured.

Port Colborne Nov. 7th - The sch. Gleniffer of St. Catharines, let go her anchor and drifted about 8 miles. Her steering gear and jib-boom are gone and sails carried away. The sch. Havanna was the only arrival here this morning, and her bulwarks are gone and her sails badly damaged.

Oswego Nov. 8th - The sch. Wooduck, 4688 bush barley from Frenchman's Bay to Oswego, while making this harbour at noon was suddenly beached, about 1000 feet east of the piers. The vessels cargo will probably be a total loss. The crew were rescued by the life crew.

Napanee Nov. 8th - A medium-sized vessel was observed this morning from the Adolphustown side shore, on the north side of the Prince Edward shore, directly opposite Cressy. She is loaded and appears to be well up on the beach. The sea is making a clean sweep over her decks. Her name is not known.

Wellington Nov. 8th - The heaviest storm of wind and rain known for years passed over this locality on Saturday night. The sch. Albert Ross, of Oakville, went ashore on Sandy Beach, three miles below here, about 4 o'clock on Sunday morning. All hands were saved. She loaded lumber and shingles at Port Hope for Charlotte. The vessel is full of water and lying easy. About the same hour the barque Thomas C. Street, of St. Catharines, with 21,000 bushels of wheat, from Toronto, bound for Kingston, came ashore 3 miles above here with her sails torn into shreds. The crew hung in the rigging for two hours when all were rescued by throwing a line to shore, which was fastened to a tree carrying them all safely to land. The vessel is leaking. If the wind keeps up much longer they will be a total wreck. She lies on a very rocky bottom.

A Sad Story.

Consecon Nov. 8th - The sch. Belle Sheridan, of Toronto, went ashore on Waller's (sic) Beach, about 2 miles from here, about 9 o'clock yesterday morning, and all on board perished except one. The vessel is a total wreck. Scarcely a vestige of her is left. Both masts are gone. The wreck is washed away and she is parted amidships. The only survivor is James McSherry, jr., who, after clinging to the rigging until about 4 o'clock in the afternoon, and seeing no chance of being rescued from the schooner, tore off a plank and jumped with it into the water, and was rescued by a boat from the shore in a very exhausted condition. He has fully recovered and gives the following particulars: They left Charlotte at 8 o'clock on Saturday morning, bound for Toronto, with 370 tons of coal for J.R. Bailey, and were well on their way. The squall struck them about 12 o'clock at night from the south-west. In a few minutes after the squall struck the greater part of the canvas was carried away and the main-boom broken, and about 3 o'clock the main topmast was carried away. They tried to make Presque Isle but failed and gave up all hope as the vessel was almost unmanageable and shortly after went ashore. Those lost are: James McSherry, sr., captain; John Hamilton, mate; John McSherry, Thos. McSherry, Edward McSherry, and Samuel Boyd, all of Toronto. Over 100 people were on the beach and saw the poor fellows drown, but were unable to render any assistance. A few attempts were made to save them and capsizes nearly drowned the fellows who were plucky enough to venture their lives. Had there been a life boat or some means for saving life every one of the crew might have been rescued.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 8, 1880
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 8, 1880