The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 23, 1880

Full Text


Marine Notes.

Considerable ice has formed in the Welland Canal during the cold snap.

The sch. Ida Keith is reported dismasted and in distress off Port Maitland.

Among the vessels in Port Colborne harbour are the schrs. Bangalore and Singapore.

The Bay of Quinte, near Mill Point, was frozen over yesterday. Several vessels were imprisoned in the ice.

The props California and Lake Ontario, from Ogdensburg, are at Swifts. The fleet detained yesterday has departed, but now lies in the shelter of South Bay.

The sch. Cornelia, of Clayton, loaded with barley and bound for Oswego, while lying off Sacketts Harbour parted her cables and drifted ashore; the probabilities are she will go to pieces. The crew is saved. The vessel and cargo are insured.

The sch. Falmouth, of Oswego, with a cargo of 16,000 bushels of wheat, from Toledo to Oswego, struck on the breakwater off Buffalo and sank. The cook and a woman were drowned. The vessel and cargo will prove a total loss. The vessel was valued at $10,000.

The captain of the tug Robb explains that when he first sighted the sch. Norway she was in about 18 fathoms of water, with her bows under. He towed her from 7 o'clock in the morning until 4 o'clock in the afternoon, when they reached the shallow water on Williams Shoal, and her anchor touched bottom. Being relieved of the weight of the anchor her bows came above the surface.

Suffering Sailors - A party of sailors accompanied a Whig reporter on the G.T.R. train on Saturday afternoon, and one of them (the mate) told of the perilous voyage through which they had passed. They constituted the crew of the schooner Mary Merritt, which on the 7th Nov., during the terrible gale that swept over Lake Ontario, was struck at Genessee River and compelled to run into Kingston harbour for shelter. During the trip several seams in the vessel's bottom were opened, and had the crew not worked at the pumps continuously, night and day, they would have perished. The vessel was taken to Ogdensburg, her cargo was discharged, and the seams tightened. On Saturday night, Nov. 13th, she left in charge of a tug for Kingston, light. On Sunday afternoon she started for the Welland Canal with a light wind and occasional flurries of snow. On Tuesday morning she was off Alcott, near Niagara, when another gale struck her, and forced her to run down the lake. An attempt was made to beat against the wind but found to be impossible. The seams were again opened, and she made water very fast. The pumps were again put in operation and kept constantly at work. South Bay was reached on Wednesday afternoon. The vessel remained at the Bay until Friday afternoon, and then, there being no hope of getting up the lake, the Captain ran the schooner to Kingston, where she now lies grounded below Cataraqui Bridge. She will remain there over winter. From Tuesday until Saturday the crew was divided into 2 watches. For 3 hours each party pumped, and was then relieved. The men state that they never experienced such toil before, but had they not laboured so assiduously they would have undoubtedly been lost. "Every bone in my body aches," said one of the sailors, and the remark was endorsed by the remainder of the crew. The names of the men who so heroically saved the vessel were: Capt. John Reno, St. Catharines; mate W. Richards, Port Dalhousie; cook F. George, St. Catharines, crew J. Patterson, Albert Patterson, John Curdy and Dick Willis, all of St. Catharines.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 23, 1880
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 23, 1880