The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Dec. 3, 1880

Full Text


Vessels Laid Up - Kingston Harbour

Steamers - City of Kingston, Corsican, Algerian, Magnet, Spartan, D.C. West, Hastings, Watertown, Princess Louise, Marquis of Lorne, Africa, Hero.

Steam barges - R. Anglin, Rose, Indian, Carlyle, Norman, Felix Lennon.

Tugs - Champion, Eleanor, Franklin, H.M. Mixer.

Schrs. - Twilight, Garibaldi, A.G. Ryan, J. Scarth, Lillie Hamilton, M. Merritt, Ionia, Pride of America, J.H. Breck, A. Falconer, G. Thurston, Dundee, E. Quinlan, Wm. Jamieson, Undine, White Oak, Florence, Florence White, Flora Carveth, A.M. Foster, B.W. Folger, Brooklyn, Forest Queen, Annandale, Julia, Eureka, Pilot.

All the barges of the M.T. Co., and those of the K. & M. Co. are here

The following are laid up at Portsmouth:

Schrs. - Lily Hamilton, Hercules, Erie Belle, and Enterprise.

Tugs - Jessie Hall, Frank Perew.

Steam barge - Water Lily.

Barges - Gypsy Queen, Jean Bart, Victor, M.A. Grant, Texas, Iowa, Kansas, Albert, Winona, Alfred, Powerful, Senaca, Europe and B.

Elevator - Cears (Ceres?)

The following craft are wintering at Garden Island:

Stmrs. - Chieftain and H.A. Calvin.

Barges - Huron, Cherokee, Iroquois, London, St. Lawrence.

Schrs. - Prussia, Bavaria, Oriental, Siberia, Denmark, Norway, Anglo-Saxon.

The Seized Vessel - The Flora Carveth, about which there has been so much writing, arrived here last night. She left Oswego in a snow storm. The bills presented for payment at that port amounted to $128. The captain paid them under protest. Upon the arrival of the vessel here another attachment was issued for $120 - a tug bill. There is nothing definite regarding the disposal of the claims. The mortgage in the vessel is $3,700 and the other claims will amount to $1,300. Should no arrangement be effected the vessel will have to be sold. She is in good condition. This morning the crew were engaged in stripping her.

p.3 The Norway Disaster - Mr. C.W. Crowley received yesterday afternoon a fuller description of the body that went ashore at Little Marsh, near Henderson. Mr. Crowley had written to the Coroner, giving him a description of one of the sailors lost from the Norway, but the description did not answer that given of the body. The Coroner writes that the drowned man had lost one of his thumbs, or rather the end of the right thumb. He was 5' 10" in his boots, had very dark brown hair, and light sandy chin whiskers and moustache, was between 30 & 40 years of age, and weighed about 165 lbs. He has no coat, but a stripped cotton overshirt, knit wool undershirt, and ordinary dark cashmere vest and trousers. Two more bodies have floated ashore at Campbell's Point and the Coroner will send descriptions of the men by the next mail.

While the employees of Messrs. Calvin & Breck were unloading the Norway this morning they found the body of Peter Burns, one of the crew, in the bow on the end of the timber. The deceased was about 27 years of age, and had been professionally a sailor, but he had made only 2 trips on the unfortunate vessel. It will be remembered that some doubt was entertained at first respecting his fate; his mother who lives in Little's Lane being of the hopeful opinion that he had left the vessel at the Welland Canal. The lapse of time, however, dispelled this idea. The deceased has on his oil-skin clothing and rubber boots, but was quite stiff, being partially frozen. Flags were hoisted at half mast at Garden Island as soon as the body was found and identified by Capt. G. O'Brien, who went to Henderson Harbour to examin the body which floated ashore near that place. The Seamen's Union having been communicated with, steps were taken this afternoon, we understand, to have the remains of young Burns buried by the members of the Association.

Later - A telegram received as we go to press says the body, found in the Norway's hold, is that of William Smith.

Marine Notes.

The ice is beginning to take in the harbour. It is 7" thick in Cataraqui Bay.

A gentleman offered 1 cent per bushel on barley from Bath to this place. He could find no takers at this figure.

One of the elevators belonging to the Montreal Transportation Company has been taken to the Marine Railway for repairs.

The W.W. Grant, barley-laden from Bath to Oswego, put into Cape Vincent yesterday with sails badly split. It is said she is unloading there & will lay up.

The sch. Eureka left Oswego this morning for Kingston. She is coal laden. This vessel will be the last one to arrive. She was the 1st one to go out in the spring. Capt. Saunders is an energetic fellow.

The sch. Norway will be repaired at Garden Island immediately. New masts are now being made for her, and in all probability they will be put in position next week. The cost of rebuilding will reach over $4000.

The barge Minnie, ashore on Point Frederick and belonging to the K. & M. Forwarding Co., will be raised and repaired this winter. She will be cut in two amidships and lengthened so as to enable her to carry 18,000 bush grain.


Sunk in Lake Michigan.

The str. Manitoulin delivered at Owen Sound J.J. Parsons, the first mate, John Nesbitt, the first engineer, Robert McEneeny, the wheelsman, Mat Noble, the fireman, and P. Craft, a deckhand of the prop. Simcoe, which foundered on the 24th inst. The Simcoe left Chicago on the 18th with 19,000 bush of corn and general freight. She experienced continued and severe gales on Lake Michigan, accompanied with a heavy snow storm, which she weathered. Early in the morning of the 24th, while off Providence Bay, on the south side of Manitoulin Island, the sea broke so heavily that it broke through the engine room, putting out the fires. The ship became completely unmanageable and remained in the trough of the sea, taking in water, until noon, when she sank. As she filled, her upper works were forced away, carrying the life boats with them. The 5 men named above succeeded in releasing one boat from the wreck and got into it. They then tried to rescue two others, who were clinging to the upper works, but were unable to reach them. When the hull went down the remainder of the crew were standing forward by the bow, and made no apparent effort to save themselves. After witnessing the last of the wreck the life-boat containing the 5 persons named, made for Providence Bay, a distance of 20 miles, from which place they went by team to Manitowaning, where they took the steamer Manitoulin for Owen Sound. The following are the names of the lost: Richard Hill, captain; Robert McNab, second mate; Ben Millwood, wheelsman; John Henry, fireman; Tom O'Hare, Tom Levi, Donald Carr and McDougall, deckhands; Julia Gibson, ladies maid; Lydia Williams, the cook; George Potton, the porter; and one deck hand whose name is unknown.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Dec. 3, 1880
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Dec. 3, 1880