The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), March 31, 1881

Full Text

p.2 Closing The Case - The case of the Flora Carveth, in the Marine Court, has been closed, claims against her being paid from the amount for which she was sold. The mortgagor received $4,808; his counsel $83, costs; James Allen, tug owner, $100, and $88 costs; add for advertising and other expenses and there was little left to pay the crew. Probably not one per cent of the claims, $1,200, can be paid. A note of $1,000 will be sued for by the mortgagor. There are a number of names attached to the note.



The schr. Fanny Campbell has been chartered to carry oak from Hamilton to Kingston at $30.

Mr. F. Lilly has been elected Secretary of the Toronto Seamens' Union. The question of wages will be decided at the next meeting.

The first charters of the season at Oswego were made yesterday by Mr. A.G. Cook. The schrs. Baltic and Jane McLeod take coal to Toronto at twenty five cents.

It has been partially decided by the companies represented in Milwaukee that on A 1 hulls the rate will be 5 per cent; on A 2 hulls 5 1/2 per cent; on A 2 1/2 hulls 6 per cent; and on B 1 hulls 7 1/2 per cent. On cargoes nothing has been decided, and will not be until shipments commence.

Tett Bros., of Bedford Mills, are making a thorough rebuild of the tug Redmond. She was built two years ago. After launching she would not stand up, necessitating false sides, which were clumsy and retarded her speed. The whole upper works were cut down to the bilge, and eighteen inches added on each side. She was also lowered eighteen inches, making quite an improvement in her model as well as steadiness. The work is under the superintendence of R. Davis, of Wolfe Island, who has had men at work on her since last January.

Filling With Water.

For some days workmen have been engaged upon the steamer Pierrepont, preparing her for the opening of navigation. Last evening the men left her as they thought in good shape, but early this morning she was found listed over (about two feet of water in her hold) and filling fast. She was canted over so much that the dead lights were under water and also the waste pipe leading to the condensor. As soon as possible the fire steamer Chatham was taken to the wharf and the steamer pumped out. Had the accident not been discovered when it was the boat would in all probability have sunk. The steamer had not leaked a drop during the winter. The occurrence of last night is attributed to the removal of one of the plugs.

p.4 County News - Bay at Deseronto open, Peterson's ferry running.

p.E. Gazette says Wellington should be made shipping port for P.E. railway, since $2,000 was already spent on dredging harbour there.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
March 31, 1881
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), March 31, 1881