The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), July 20, 1881

Full Text



he harbour has seldom been so quiet as it is now.

The steamer Corsican has been safely floated to Montreal.

The schr. Fanny Campbell is loading iron ore for Ashtabula at 80 cents f.o.b. The ore is from Robbins' mine, Ironsides.

By a collision with Wells street bridge, Chicago, the Canadian schooner R. Morwood lost her jibboom and the bridge was damaged.

The schr. Richardson had her pocket piece damaged while ashore at Fort William this spring. She will be put on the ways here and receive a new one.

All the passenger steamers, bound down, now have their accommodation pretty well taxed. There are orchestras aboard the boats running the American channel.

The steamer City of Winnipeg was burned yesterday morning at Duluth. She is a total loss. All her passengers were saved, but four of her crew are missing, one fireman, one porter, and two waiters. She was fully insured.

The str. Corsican was pumped out at six o'clock last evening. The Hiram A. Calvin then towed her out, and she started off alone, but as the steam pump was on one side she listed badly, and after going two miles, sunk in fourteen feet of water. Her hold is now full of water. The Hiram A. Calvin has come to Kingston for another pump. Mr. Milloy has instructed the boats of the Royal Mail Line to go up the canal after this.


Schr. A.G. Boucher, Toronto, 10,555 wht.

Schr. Annie Falconer, Charlotte, light.

Schr. American, Chicago, 18,000 wheat.

Str. Cultivateur, Prescott, light.

Str. Norseman, Prescott, pass. and fgt.

Str. Algerian, Hamilton, pass. and fgt.

Str. Spartan, Montreal, pass. and fgt.

Str. D.C. West, Portland, pass. and fgt.

Prop. Cuba, Hamilton, pass. and fgt.

Prop. Lake Michigan, Toledo, lightened 4,000 corn.

Tug Bronson, Montreal, six barges, 1,000 rails.

Barge Otonabee, Rideau Lake, posts and ties.

Barge John Gaskin, Montreal, 500 tons rails.

Lake Freights

Toronto - Rates are firm and unchanged, with the Anna M. Foster chartered for wheat to Kingston at 1 3/4 cents.

Chicago - Freights dull. Charter reported was Schr. Sligo, wheat to Kingston, 5 1/2 cents.

Detroit - No grain offering for Kingston or Montreal.

Blocking A Train.

A peculiar obstacle for the delay of a railroad train - a schooner in the way - blocked a train on the H. & N.W.R.R. at Hamilton on Monday night. On arriving at the piers it was found that the bridge was open and could not be swung until the schooner Oliver Mowat got clear. But the Mowat, a large three and after, could not get clear. When she came in she struck the yacht Cacique and took a piece off the yacht's mast. When she got near the ferry she let go an anchor, which quickly fouled with the Montreal Telegraph cable and the ferry chains. There the Mowat stayed, and all the efforts to get her clear enough to swing the bridge were useless until about 3 o'clock, a.m., when they were able to swing the bridge for the train, which had been waiting on the other side for three hours. The vessel was bound for Kingston, light.

Captain Beaupre arrived this morning from Hamilton. He was questioned regarding his detention at Hamilton, and said that the wind was blowing at a "living gale," and that the vessel was rushing along at the rate of 12 miles an hour. When near the piers he noticed that the bridge had not been opened for him, and to prevent a collision and the probable destruction of the bridge he threw out the vessel's big anchor into the midst of telegraph cables and ferry chains. The vessel was brought to a halt immediately. By his presence of mind, he thus prevented a serious mishap. The vessel was detained about a day by the wind blowing her against the piers. Had the bridge been open the vessel could have gone through easily. The Mowat will load iron ore here for Cleveland.


One of the principal features in connection with the J.C.B.U. picnic today was the regatta. The yacht race commenced at 10 o'clock, according to the following conditions and rules:

Open to all, for a valuable silver cup, presented by the Association, and to become the property of the winner of the race. Entrance $2.

Rules - The rules of the Dominion Day regatta to govern in all cases.

The course was from a buoy off Channel Grove to a buoy off tannery wharf, Portsmouth, thence to a buoy off Swift's wharf, thence to Channel Grove, thence to Portsmouth, thence to Swift's wharf, thence to Channel Grove, thence to Portsmouth and back to Channel Grove, crossing a line between the buoy and shore at Channel Grove at the finish.

Decision of the committee to be final.

Sailing Committee - D.J. Hagerty, C. Crowley, J.J. Belian, and W. Towers.

There were 5 entries:

General Garfield, Dr. C.L. Curtiss.

Zitella, Mr. M.W. Strange.

Laura, Mr. T. McK. Robertson.

Emma, Mr. G. Offord.

Robert A. McCorkell, Mr. A. McCorkell.

The former had a long lead at the start. The Laura and Emma, after rounding the Portsmouth buoy, came down the harbour together. When near the shipyard the Emma attempted to pass the Laura, but the latter "luffed" a little as did also the Emma. Again the Emma attempted to pass to windward of the Laura, and the latter luffed again. She was so near the schr. George Thurston that when the wind caught her main sheet on the opposite quarter it struck the Emma's bobstay and carried away her bowsprit. In the confusion the Laura ran under the bowsprit of the schooner, and mast, rigging and canvass were swept overboard. The Emma on losing her bowsprit canted to leeward and very nearly capsized. She had 1,680 lbs. of ballast to leeward, and it is considered wonderful that she did not turn completely over. The wrecked yachts were towed to their respective moorings. The accident is to be regretted as the prospects were good for an excellent race. Mr. Henry Cunningham, who was sailing the Laura, claims that the accident was unavoidable.

Capt. McCorkill states that he did not enter the Robt. A. McCorkill with the hope of beating the yachts of twice her tonnage, but for a chance of testing the sailing qualities of his new craft, so that he may know how she will run in future with third class yachts.

The General Garfield kept ahead, passing the buoy at Swift's wharf seven minutes ahead of all competitors.

Later Report.

After the accident to the Laura and Emma, by which both were compelled to retire, the race became comparatively uninteresting. The Garfield rounded the city buoy a second time, about 2:30 o'clock, a considerable distance in advance of the Zitella. On the return to Simcoe Island the latter closed up on her competitor slightly. At 3 o'clock the Garfield rounded the Simcoe buoy and stood away for the asylum in fine style. The wind was suitable for her throughout, and the way she sped through the water was remarkable. Barring accident the Garfield was sure to win.

Excursion From Alexandria Bay - str. Flower City, Capt. Estes.

Trifling Thoughts - boom of small cannon on bow of yacht Garfield.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
July 20, 1881
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), July 20, 1881