The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), July 22, 1881

Full Text



The schooner G.B. Sloan carries corn to Oswego from Chicago at 4 1/4 cents.

It is expected that the str. Corsican will be able to resume her trips tomorrow.

The propeller Prussia landed 50 bbls. of pure whiskey at Swift's dock this morning.

The Chicago rate is going down still. The schr. Sligo was engaged to take wheat to Kingston at 5 1/2 cents.

The schooner Oliver Mowat loads 450 tons of iron ore for Cleveland. She gets a freight of 80 cents per ton.

The schr. Fabiola has been chartered to carry ties to Charlotte at $37.50 a thousand. The schr. A.D. Boucher will take lumber at Oswego at 70 cents per m.

The steamer Gipsy, which arrived this morning from Ottawa, had many passengers and a full cargo. The scenery along the line of the Rideau Canal is now very fine.

The Nellie Cuthbert has finally succeeded in getting the necessary certificates from the marine inspector at this port. She is in excellent order. She has cleared for Toronto.

The yacht Ella, of Oswego, arrived here this morning from Toronto with a party of pleasure seekers. She remained in port but a few hours, being en route for the Thousand Islands.

The Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Company's officers at Montreal have forwarded here several bells, which are to be placed upon the steamers of the Royal Mail line in compliance with regulations.

The rate on wheat and corn, from Kingston to Montreal, is 2 1/2 cents on wheat, and 2 1/4 cents on corn. This rate has prevailed since the opening of spring. It is lower than last year. The attempt to lower the rate was not a success.

The steamer Cultivateur, which left this morning for Montreal, had about 150 passengers, all of whom had come from Detroit, and were members of the excursion party under charge of Mr. W.H. Brearly, who thus makes his last trip of the kind for the season.

The heaviest rain and wind storm passed over Lachine Wednesday about 5 o'clock that has been seen for years. Numerous whirl pools were seen on the river. The Algerian and Prince Arthur started to run the rapids, but they were taken back and put into the canal entrance for shelter.

This morning as the prop. Prussia steamed out of the harbour a number of ladies climbed upon the top of the wheelhouse and remained in that dangerous position until the craft was lost sight of. Had the vessel lurched or struck an obstruction the people would have been thrown overboard and perhaps drowned. Who would then be to blame?

Welland Canal - Bound Down.

Jennie White, Cleveland, Kingston, coal.

R. Gaskin, Charlevoix, Collinsby, timber.

Southampton, Charlevoix, Collinsby, timber.

Indian, Charlevoix, Collinsby, timber.


Schr. A. Foster, Toronto, 4,151 corn.

Schr. Phoebe Catherine, Toronto, wheat.

Schr. Prussia, Chicago, 5,031 wheat.

Str. D.C. West, Portland, pass. and fgt.

Str. Gipsy, Ottawa, pass. and fgt.

Str. Algerian, Montreal, pass. and fgt.

Str. Passport, Hamilton, pass. and fgt.

Prop. Cuba, Ogdensburg, pass. and fgt.

Prop. Armenia, Toronto, pass. and fgt.

Tug Glide, Montreal, four barges, light.


Tug Glide, Montreal, six barges, 113,000 bush. wheat, and 200 tons phosphate.

Last Year and This Year.

The difference between the rates of last year and those of this year shows a considerable advantage to vessels in 1880, in grain freights from the upper lake ports. In other coarse freights the advantage rests with vessels during this year.

From Toronto, wheat to Kingston was, about this date last year, 1 1/2 cents; lumber to Oswego, $1; and freights were not plenty.

From Oswego to Toronto the coal rate was 20 cents; from Cleveland to Toronto $1.12 1/2

From Toledo to Kingston, wheat was 6 1/2 cents, and corn 6 cents.

It will be seen whence the rates of this year differ from those of last year. Timber rates from the upper lakes have been very much better this year. Coarse freights generally everywhere better. The rate on grain from Toronto to Kingston is now 1 1/4 cents, but the rates from other ports west was distinctly better last year. [Globe]


Quite an excitement was caused by the appearance of two policemen hurrying along Ontario street about 10:30 o'clock this morning in the direction of the K. & M. Forwarding Company's dock. They returned in a few minutes with Capt. Paul Clark, of the schr. Kate, of Oakville, under arrest for having assaulted Thomas Clancy. A long line of shovellers followed in the policemen's footsteps. As the police magistrate had not yet left the court the case was tried at once. The captain pleaded "not guilty," claiming that it was done in his own defence.

Thomas Clancy took the stand and gave his version of the affair. The boss shoveller, James Clark, was in the hold throwing up to the deck damaged grain. The captain came along and asked that the grain be left where it was stuck to the centre board. Words followed. The captain said he "would throw the boss out of the hold." He stooped down to pick up a handspike, and John Dougherty took hold of him to prevent him. The captain then turned around and struck Clancy in the face with his fist. He was not knocked down. The captain then took out a revolver, cocked it and threatened to shoot Clancy. Andrew Sharp next related the circumstances of the row and regarding the assault. He said that the captain had "hauled off and let Clancy have it." He struck Clancy with full force.

Capt. Paul Clark then gave evidence regarding the origin of the row. He said he was threatened with a grain shovel, and stooped to pick up the handspike. He was caught from behind and thrown around. He said to the man who had hold of him: "Don't take hold of me again." Clancy came towards him, and the Captain then struck him with his open hand. Clancy thereupon chased the Captain towards the cabin with a raised scoop. The Captain stood, took out his revolver, cocked it, and said, "If you come any further I will shoot you." The revolver, as it lay on the magistrate's desk, was empty. The witness was questioned regarding its condition, and frankly admitted that it had been loaded, and that he had taken the cartridges out after the row.

Phalen Walmsley, a Toronto student, who was aboard the vessel, related and corroborated the captain's story. Other witnesses were examined, and it was shown that Clancy had not touched the captain. Captain Clark made a few remarks to the magistrate, pleading justification for his actions. After considerable discussion the magistrate inflicted a fine of $5 for the assault and a further fine of $20 for carrying a revolver, while in the act of offending against the law.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
July 22, 1881
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), July 22, 1881