The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 5, 1881

Full Text



Rates are still 2 1/2 cents on grain to Kingston or Oswego from Toronto.

The frame of the vessel now on the ways at the M.T. shipyard will be closed in in about ten days.

The schr. D.R. Van Allan has been repainted in white. It is a better looking color than the dingy green.

The schr. B.W. Folger cleared last evening from here light for Oswego. She successfully reached the port.

The little steam barge Crusoe is now engaged in the grain trade. Capt. Rothwell has made her a trim little vessel.

The schr. A.G. Ryan has left Napanee with 8,000 bushels barley for Oswego. The rate given is 2 1/2 cents per bushel.

The propeller Enterprise, from Prescott, with railroad iron for Milwaukee, was the first loaded boat to pass up the new Welland Canal.

The schr. Pride of America, owned by Capt. Macdonald, of this city, has been ashore on Bois Blanc Island. She is now in Milwaukee.

Capt. Cameron is making a survey of the canvas and rigging of the schr. Minnie Blakely, sunk at Point Ann, he having purchased her. He intends raising and fitting her out.

Seventeen horses belonging to T. Hicks, of Poughkeepsie, N.Y., went over on the Maud yesterday. They were purchased near Belleville.

The schr. Mary Everett is ashore on the Ducks. A tug has been sent for, so that her position cannot be very serious. She left Oswego, light, for Toronto. She was a scow of 170 tons, owned by Mr. C. Robertson, of Toronto, and valued at $2,200.

The prop. D.R. Van Allan arrived here last night with the first cargo of grain from Duluth by way of Midland city on the Georgian Bay. It is transhipped there and brought in cars to Port Hope, over the Midland R.R. The rate from Port Hope to Kingston is 1 1/2 cents.


Prop. Belle Wilson, Whitby, 10,000 bush. wheat.

Prop. D.R. Van Allen, Port Hope, 14,600 wheat.

Str. Corsican, Hamilton, pass. and fgt.

Str. Passport, Montreal, pass. and fgt.

Str. Algerian, Montreal, pass. and fgt.

Tug Carlyle, Ironsides, barges ore.

Welland Canal - Bound Down.

Schr. Manzanilla, Point Sauble, Collinsby, timber.


The "Raging Canawl".

Yesterday the tug Swan engaged at St. Ann's, on the St. Lawrence, arrived here, on her way to Ottawa, the water being too low for her to continue work. She successfully passed through the Kingston Mills lock but when opposite Nigger Head Point, about a mile above the Mills, she ran with a full head of steam upon an obstruction, knocking a hole in her bottom. She filled rapidly and sank in fourteen feet of water. Her bow is down but the stern sticks out of water, being held up by a stump. The crew scrambled into the boat when the accident occurred and made for shore, forgetting to return, however, for Capt. McIntyre, who sat in his wet garments on the part of the vessel out of water from 7 p.m. until 2 o'clock this morning. He had a light with him. The cutting cold and heavy frost of last night chilled his blood. About two o'clock this morning the tug Carlyle and barges passed the spot and were signalled, but owing to the strong wind blowing Capt. McIntyre could not be picked up. The Carlyle went down to the Mills, left her barges there, and returning took the half frozen Captain off the Swan and brought him to the city. Capt. McIntyre was met this morning but could not give the names of the crew who so heartlessly deserted him. They were all strangers to him. The tug is owned in part by S. Mulligan, of Ottawa, and Capt. McIntyre. She was partially insured. Captain McIntyre will go to Ottawa and return with two barges, when an attempt will be made to raise the sunken craft.

Lost His Tools - On Sunday while the tug John Owen was passing down with her raft at the head of Bois Blanc Island the raft got foul of the tug Minnie Morton laying alongside of the tug Swain, parting the Morton's lines and carrying her outside into the lake. The Morton sank when about two miles below Bois Blanc Island. The Morton is owned by Odelle and Wherry, of Windsor, and was chartered to assist in raising the tug Swain. Diver James Quinn, of Kingston, who was engaged in raising the tug Swain, lost $800 worth of tools. An attempt will be made to recover them but Mr. Quinn thinks they will not be in good shape.


A sensation was caused this morning in a wider circle than that of mariners alone, by the announcement of the loss of the schooner Richardson. The information was received by telegram from Mr. James Richardson, the owner of the craft.

"Schooner Richardson is a total wreck; struck the pier and is all to pieces. Captain and crew saved."

The schooner loaded 9,200 bushels of barley here yesterday for Oswego, clearing before a northwest wind at 7 o'clock. She evidently made a quick trip over and while attempting to make the treacherous harbor at Oswego, made more so by the so called improvements, struck the pier and went to pieces. The general opinion is that the schr. while endeavouring to pass the entrance which is now only some 150 feet wide ran on a small pier located between the east and west piers and hardly visible above the water. To make the harbor with a north west wind

Requires Great Skill,

for should the back surf from the west piers strike the vessel under the quarter it would render it unmanageable. For weeks past every captain coming from Oswego has stated that as soon as any stormy weather came there would be disasters at Oswego, and vessels and probably lives lost. The schr. Richardson has had, unfortunately, to take the lead. She was commanded by a careful master, Capt. McKee, who has been upon her since she was launched. Henry Smith was mate; Mrs. Henry Smith, cook, and among the crew are two sons of Capt. McKee. The other sailors are unkown to us.

The Richardson, although quite an old craft, rated A 2 1/2. She has been kept in constant repair and this fall some $500 was spent on her to put her in a good condition for the grain trade. Already she has made five trips to Oswego with barley. The grain was insured in the Canadian Pool for about its value. The vessel was partially insured in the Phoenix Insurance Company.

An Eventful Trip.

The most important trip ever made by the vessel was last fall, when she took a cargo of dynamite to Fort William for the C.P. Railway, and after an eventful trip arrived at her destination with safety. The season being too late for a return she laid up there and during the spring freshets was hoisted by an ice shove upon the bank, where she lay when Capt. McKee arrived to bring her down. She was taken off, repaired, and brought here some months ago. At the time of her accident at the Fort it was reported that she would be a total loss. The statement of today is, however, a grave reality and can only be attributed to the disgraceful state of the Oswego harbor. Mr. James Richardson, owner of the wrecked vessel, was not aboard the craft, having gone over yesterday by the Maud, and down from Cape Vincent by train.

The Captain's Report.

By telegraph from Oswego Captain McKee says that he left Kingston at 8 o'clock last evening, the wind being north west and fresh, a heavy sea was running, made for Oswego light at 1:30 a.m., and 3 a.m., drew near the harbor and saw two bright lights, besides the red light and the other on the west pier. The first two lights he supposed to be on the new east breakwater crib work. He tried to get between the two lights, one of which he supposed to be on west pier, and the other on the new crib work, but which he now feels satisfied was a light on west pier and another on the shore. In trying to get between these, thinking he was entering the harbor he ran head on to the west pier. The sea was breaking over the pier so much that it was buried out of sight. The vessel swung around and headed westward, and while she pounded and drifted about five hundred feet westerly, the crew jumped on the pier and were taken off by the steam tug Wheeler and Captain Ferris, which ran out of the harbor for that purpose. The Captain and crew lost every stitch of their clothing, money, and the vessel's papers. While the crew were leaving the vessel her spars went out and she soon went to pieces. Capt. McKee says there was no light on the crib work, and that was the cause of his trouble.

Whats The News? - The yacht Atalanta is having a trial match at Belleville today with the Norah, and will leave for New York at the end of the week.

A Challenge - from yacht Katie Gray to Emma.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 5, 1881
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 5, 1881