The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 7, 1881

Full Text

p.2 Unpopular Proposal - interview with M.P. - his ideas on tug line not liked.



Capt. Wm. Collier, of Port Dover, is in the city.

No boats through the Welland Canal yesterday, downwards.

The schr. Wm. Elgin is loading 250 tons of ore for Charlotte.

The schr. Eureka is loading stone at Portsmouth for Charlotte.

The yacht Clara Louise, sunk in the bay at Hamilton, has been raised to the surface.

Capt. Donnelly has inspected the tug Swan at Nigger Head Point, and will leave this evening with pontoons and attempt to raise her.

Grain is so high in Chicago that it cannot be shipped to the East with any profit to shippers, and as a consequence it lies there and accumulates.

Three anchors have been picked up from a depth of 60 to 70 feet, between Timber Island and Point Traverse. The water has been so clear that they could easily be seen on the bottom.

Sailors are unwise to allow captains to hold their wages until they accumulate. They should draw their money regularly and deposit it in a safe place. Already the Pride of America has been tied up at Milwaukee and the schooner Mary Jane at Port Dalhousie for sailors' wages.

The schr. Manzanilla arrived at Collinsby last evening loaded with timber taken in at Point Sauble, Michigan. It is stated that no provender whatever could be secured for the horses and in consequence of this a full load of timber could not be taken on. The owner was afraid the horses would starve to death.

Yesterday the schr. Flora Carveth, light, started out of Oswego, but had only proceeded three or four miles when her top-mast rolled out and she attempted to run back under foresail and staysail. On nearing the pier she was being rapidly carried eastward and but for the daring rescue of the tug Redford she would have been on the beach.

The freights given in the old days were something remarkable. Some of the "ancient mariners," in discussing freights today, related the figures received by the old schooner London, which got a load of rails from here to Chicago, took a deck load of lumber at St. Clair river for Chicago at $4.50 per m., on return trip grain to St. Catharines at 23 cents per bushel, and flour in barrels from St. Catharines to Ogdensburg at 50 cents. The trip was made in the fall and it was not until Christmas that the vessel laid up.

The schooners Eureka and Forest Queen were loaded at the same dock in Kingston. There was a friendly rivalry between the crews, and a race across the lake was decided upon. Some bets were made, and the ships, full rigged and every yard of sail in the breeze, left the docks together. Side by side they remained until 30 miles had been travelled, when the Forest Queen lost her jib topsail, and shortly after her main gaff topsail. This of course weakened her, and the Eureka pulled away from her, arriving at Charlotte one hour and twenty minutes ahead.


Schr. M.L. Breck, Toronto, 16,838 bu. wheat.

Prop. Ocean, Chicago, pass. and fgt.

Str. Gipsy, Ottawa, pass. and fgt.

Str. Algerian, Hamilton, pass. and fgt.

Str. Spartan, Montreal, pass. and fgt.

Prop. Dominion, Montreal, pass. and fgt.

Prop. California, Montreal, pass. and fgt.

Schr. Mary Lyons, Chicago, 19,000 bu. wheat.


The steamer Flight was in danger on Wednesday on her return trip with the Picton excursionists from the county fair at Napanee. She left Napanee about 5:15 p.m. with 125 passengers. The weather was cold and windy, the passengers gathered in the cabin and stern of the vessel. This caused her to settle below her usual depth, and the long season of dry weather had opened up the seams between the planks, so she began to leak freely. After proceeding five miles it was found that she was filling, and the passengers became excited. The water had reached the floor of the engine room and cabin. The syphon was out of order and could not be made to work; consequently the engineer found it impossible to proceed further, as the fires would soon be extinguished. The captain immediately headed her for the shore. The floors were taken up and several willing hands set to work with pails and the boat was bailed dry in less than half an hour. The boat backed off shore, proceeded to Picton and landed her passengers without any further mishap about 8:45 p.m. She left at 9 p.m. and arrived at Napanee at 12 midnight, in good condition, not leaking any and no water in her hold. Her boiler was only carrying 50 to 55 pounds of steam, and is self exhausting at a pressure of 70 pounds. The steamer Pilgrim passed the Flight and offered to render any assistance, but it was not required. This is all there was of a horrible sensation.

Canadian Tug At Oswego - Relative to the placing of the Canadian tug at Oswego, Mr. J.K. Post, President of the Tug Association there, says there is no ground for complaint. He thinks a tug will not be sent there to tow Canadian vessels, the same statement having been made a hundred times. The tug rates are not so high as last season. No single tug could handle the Canadian vessels sailing to Oswego, according to the Palladium.

The K. & P. R.R. Wharf - track extended along the wharf, reaching into Cataraqui Bay; here all the timber and lumber to be transferred to vessels; schr. Fanny Campbell loading there now.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 7, 1881
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 7, 1881