The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 24, 1881

Full Text

p.1 News Of The Day - The Dominion government has decided to place an electric light at Gibraltar Point on the Island in Toronto Bay.

The Carillon Dam will be completed by the 15th Nov. with enlarged locks. Vessels drawing 10 feet water can then pass through.



The schr. Prince Alfred brings coal from Toledo to Kingston at $1.50 per ton.

The schr. Oades is loading iron ore at the esplanade for Astabula at $1.50 per ton.

The schr. Acacia carries 373 tons of coal from Sodus to Toronto, receiving a freight of 50 cents per ton.

The yacht Atalanta was at llion, N.Y., and expected to get through the Erie Canal today.

The steamer Maud has been placed on the marine railway for overhauling, prior to the severe weather which may be expected with the close of the season. The steamer Princess Louise is running to the Cape.

The schr. North Star collided with the schr. George B. Sloan, opposite Racine, on Wednesday night. The Star lost her main boom and mainsail, and considerable rigging, and had eleven stanchions broken. The Sloan reached Chicago minus her jib-boom and bobstays. She was bound for Chicago with a cargo of corn.

The work on the steamer Campana at Port Dalhousie is progressing. The two pieces of the vessel were closed on Saturday. The owners no longer entertain any idea that the vessel will be taken to the upper lakes this year. It is the intention to take the Campana and have all the cabins and finishing work done in Toronto. It will be probably three weeks before she is ready to leave Port Dalhousie.


The Sinking Of the Traveller - Reported Damage To The Passport.

The Witness says that between 8 and 9 o'clock on Friday evening the steamer Passport ran into and sunk the tow boat Traveller about two miles from Beauharnois on Lake St. Louis. The Traveller is the property of Calvin & Son, of Kingston, but was under the orders of the Kingston & Montreal Forwarding Company. The manager of the company sent a message by telegraph from the office of the Great North Western here at 10:50 a.m., ordering the tug to proceed to Cornwall light for a down tow. The message was sent promptly, so it is stated, from this office, but was not delivered until 7 p.m. in the evening. This unfortunate delay caused the late departure of the tug in the dark, and about an hour after she left Lachine the accident occurred. The captain of the tug states that he observed the signal of the Passport and chose his right course, and that the Passport steered right in toward the tug, which could not of course avoid the collision. The tug sank immediately in forty feet of water, the captain having barely time to save his crew. The tug is valued at $10,000, and was not insured. Messrs. Calvin & Son, who are prominent wreckers and have all the appliances for raising the vessel, have sent the steamer Hiram Calvin to the scene of the accident. They expect to raise the vessel at once, and she will be repaired during the coming winter. The Passport is very badly damaged, her bulkhead compartment, which immediately filled with water, having alone saved her from sinking. It is expected that it will take twelve or fifteen days to repair her.

The Star says the Passport's captain claims to have followed the right course and the Traveller's captain is reported to have said that he was on the right side and also stopped his boat. As it was, the Traveller's bow was smashed and she turned over on her side and went down in a few minutes, giving her crew barely time to get on board the Passport. She now lies in some fifteen feet water with her railing slightly visible above the surface. It is supposed her boiler shifted with the shock and though she will be probably raised again, the cost and the damage to her hull and machinery will be considerable. She was a large side-wheel tow-boat, registering 58 tons, owned by Calvin & Son, Garden Island, near Kingston. She was built in 1875 and ran on the Lake St. Louis route. The Passport was also considerably damaged, having her bow stove in for some twelve feet and the iron works torn away.

The steamers Hiram Calvin and Chieftain are at the scene of the accident. The schooner Prussia, of Montreal, will also be used in the raising of the tug. Capt. John Donnelly, Mr. H.A. Calvin, and a diver are at the sunken tug now. The tug Traveller is only about four years old and has now met with her first accident. Mr. D.D. Calvin says she was "a crack boat." She only drew 4 1/2 feet of water and could go wherever a raft could float. She ran the rapids with timber and handled it well. Altogether she was such a boat as was required in their business.

p.3 Portsmouth Harbor - The dredging of Portsmouth harbour has been completed, the appropriation of the Government having been exhausted. Excellent work has been done. Had there been a little more money the harbour could have been made one of the safest and best on the lakes. As it is it will be able to accommodate the largest vessels that can pass through the Welland Canal. The dredge is at present employed off the Penitentiary wharf deepening it so as to allow boats of large draught to run alongside.

p.4 Engineer's Certificates - letter to editor of [Globe] about str. Armenia; signed R. Marshall, engineer of Armenia.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 24, 1881
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 24, 1881