The schr. J. H. Breck is bending her canvas preparatory to clearing for Point St. Ignace, where she loads timber for Garden Island.
Navigation will be opened on the 29th inst., via old Canal, between Port Dalhousie and lock 4, Welland Canal, but between lock 4 and the junction with new canal at Allanburg, during daylight only. Draft of water as usual. The new canal will be opened throughout with 12 feet draft of water on the same date.
Capt. J. Donnelly has gone to the rescue of the schr. Nellie Theresa, ashore at Sandy Creek. The vessel left Oswego at 7 o'clock Wednesday morning, light, for Picton, but when she got outside the wind shifted to the north-west and she was last seen going down the lake. When ten miles off Sandy Creek her main boom broke and she could not work out of the bay. The anchor dragged, the wind increased, the sailors slipped the cable, and the schooner went on the beach. She is in good shape, laying easy on the sand. She is owned by parties in Napanee.
LOCAL WAGES QUESTION.
The Sailors' Union held a meeting last evening in their rooms, Princess street. There was a very large attendance, the question of wages being always an interesting one. It was decided that the rates should be: Through the Welland Canal, $1.75 per day; on Lake Ontario, $1.50 per day. Three cooks were "boycotted" - two women and a man. The wages of these is usually: for males $1.50 per day, and for females $1.00 to $1.25 per day. The Union found that the three referred to had been working against them, had "tattled" about and embarrassed various sailors, hence the severe measures adopted to punish and ostracize them. The Union has now 448 members. There are few sailors not connected with the organization, which has become very powerful, and possesses an influence that cannot be ignored. Our readers will remember the case of the Scotchmen who came to man Calvin & Son's fleet. This morning we asked about them, if anything had been heard of them after leaving Kingston, and a Union official informed us that with the exception of one, who was drowned, all have returned to the old land. Their experience in Canada had been most unpleasant.
CHANGE OF YEARS.
What Has Become Of The Old Northern Transportation Line.
Many of our readers along the St. Lawrence will remember when the Northern Transportation Company's boats were the attraction on the river, and the exciting races that used to take place. The following from the Chicago Inter-Ocean will be read with interest:
Thursday the new Northern Michigan Line took possession of the old line of that name. The new incorporation is capitalized at $50,000, and is represented by W.W. Ellsworth, S.S. Burke, and P. Chamberlain, of this city. Two of its boats are the Lawrence and Champlain. Thus ends another chapter of the first combination propeller company on the lakes, the Northern Transportation Company, which once controlled twenty-three propellers, and originated in 1851. Ten of the crafts have gone out of existence and carried with them forty-three lives. The Lady of the Lake was blown up near Fairport in Lake Erie in 1854, destroying three lives. The Wisconsin was burned off Cape Vincent in 1867, cremating twenty persons. The Bay State went down near Oswego in 1860, carrying twenty lives. The Vermont was lost on Lake Erie, near Long Point, in 1855. The Ogdensburg went down in a collision on Lake Erie in 1855. The Young America was lost near Charlotte in 1863. The Granite State went down last fall in the northern part of Lake Michigan. The City of Toledo foundered off Ludington in the fall of 1876. Her machinery and boiler are now running the steambarge Business of Milwaukee. The St. Albans foundered off Milwaukee on January 31st, 1881, probably by the agency of ice. The Michigan was cut down to a steambarge, and is now in the lumber business between Detroit and Saginaw. The Empire State was reduced to a steambarge, and tows in the lumber trade of Saginaw. The Lowell was cut down to a steambarge, and tows lumber barges, and is owned at Port Huron. The City of Concord was cut down to a steambarge, is owned at Port Huron, and tows salt and lumber between Toledo, Cleveland and Tawas. The Oswegatchie and Garden City were reduced to steambarges, and are in the lumber trade at Detroit, where they are owned. The Milwaukee was reduced to a steambarge, is owned at Manistee, and operated in the stone trade between Washington Island and east Lake Michigan ports. The Maine is now a steambarge owned in Detroit, and towing lumber barges between Chicago and Muskegon. The Buckeye is here, is now a steambarge, and runs in the lumber business to and from Muskegon. The Cleveland is owned at Bay City, and has become a steambarge in the lumber trade between Cleveland, Toledo and Bay City.
Only three remain propellers, the Champlain, Lawrence, and the City of New York. The last is owned at Detroit, and runs in Ward's Lake Superior line between Cleveland and Marquette.
The line reached its meridian in 1872, when it had twenty-one boats in operation. During all those years it was managed by Philo Chamberlain, who related (unreadable) parlor last evening, while some young ladies interspersed the exercises with instrumental music.