The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), April 27, 1882

Full Text


A Reckless Captain.

At Cape Vincent on Sunday the schooner George B. Sloan, of Oswego, let go her anchor in the vicinity of where the telegraph cable lies in the river. The anchor caught on the cables, and the captain of the schooner engaged the tug Gardner to aid him in getting clear. They raised the cables to the surface of the water several times and might easily have lifted it off the anchor, but both captains seemed determined to break the cables and get clear that way. The tug would back up close to the schooner and get all the slack she could, and then shoot ahead, but the cables held them. After several attempts of this kind, and they found they could not break the cable, they backed up and lifted it off the anchor and went away. They had, however, destroyed the land connections of the cable and done other damage which was wholly unnecessary.

The Yacht Atalanta.

Captain Cuthbert, sailing master of the Canadian sloop yacht Atalanta defeated by the sloop Mischief last autumn in the races for the America's cup, has arrived in New York for the purpose of refitting his vessel. Mr. Cuthbert proposes to reduce her spars, reballast her, this time with iron cast to fit between the frames, and with new sails and general overhauling to try conclusions with some of the crack American boats in the season to come. He says, "I will take part in any regattas or cruises to which I am invited." The Atalanta was laid up for the winter in Communipaw Basin.

No Pent Up Utica.

The monster propeller J.C. Gault, of the Wabash Railway's Line between Toledo and Buffalo, has successfully passed through the new Welland Canal, grain loaded, for Ogdensburg. This is an experimental trip with a view to running a line of large craft between Toledo and Ogdensburg. The Gault measures 1,213 tons, and is one of the larger class of lake steamers, though by no means the largest. Her passage indicates what can be done, and the putting on of lines of large propellers between Chicago and Lake Ontario is now a question of only a short time. The larger class of grain sailing vessels will also now begin plying directly between Chicago and Kingston and other Ontario ports. And the small propellers and sail vessels must seek shorter routes.



The schr. Hercules is loading iron at the K. & P.R.R. dock.

The schr. Ben Folger arrived last evening from Sodus Point with coal.

The schr. Eliza Quinlan is lying windbound here. She has coal for Gananoque.

The schr. Ariadne is on her way here from Toronto with a cargo of wheat. Rate 2 cents.

No steamboats or scows have passed down the Rideau, although the canal is free of ice.

The lake today was remarkably calm. Nothing but steam crafts could move around.

The scow Alice Mary will be an entire loss. The rigging was brought to the city today.

The Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Company's Upper River steamers begin running some time next week.

The first timber raft of the season containing twenty cribs, has left Kingston for Quebec in tow of the tug Traveller.

The following charters are reported: Schooners, not named, three trips pine timber from St. Ignace to Kingston, $70 per m. cubic. Schooner, not named, three trips of timber from Lake Superior to Kingston, $90.

The schr. Leadville, of Oswego, passed up the Welland Canal on Monday, loaded with 657 tons of coal, and drawing 11 feet of water. This is the largest load yet to go through the new channel, and carried in a vessel of the old canal size.

At a meeting of the St. Catharines Sailors' Union, held on Monday evening, it was decided to boycott Capt. George Brooks, who sails the schooner J.R. Benson. He is reported to have left Port Dalhousie last Thursday night during a heavy blow with only two boys and a man before the mast.

Yesterday morning Captain H. Redfern, and M. Conroy were engaged setting nets about 5 miles from Colborne, when the steamer Annie Cuthbert, en route for Belleville, ran into their sail boat, cutting it in two, and nearly drowning them. The tug rescued them in an exhausted state.

A brutal encounter took place in Port Dalhousie yesterday between two captains hailing from Oswego. Their re- (line unreadable) and John Preston. The affair was lively for a short time. Griffin came off with flying colors, but minus part of one ear. Preston was once in a row at Portsmouth and levelled a revolver at members of the Sailors' Union.

Ready For Them - yacht Emma preparing for races.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
April 27, 1882
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), April 27, 1882