The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), May 22, 1882

Full Text

p.2 Another Phantom Dock - It will now be in order for the Government to send a staff of Engineers from Ottawa to take measurements of depths and distances with a view of inaugurating work on a dry dock. They did this with some effect in May, 1879, promising work immediately. The residents of Sydenham Ward and electors of the city, generally, know the immediate work that was done, and we would not be surprised to see a prospectus issued and names of Directorate given in a day or so to try and again befool some people. The fertility of party imagination must create some new plan to hood-wink a few if possible. Our intelligent contemporary has already suggested the urgent need of some like plan being produced.


The schooner J.H. Breck is close at hand and will probably arrive this forenoon.

The arrivals at Garden Island on Saturday and Sunday were: Schrs. Ed. Blake, from St. Ignace, pine; Norway, St. Ignace, pine; Wawanosh, St. Ignace, pine; Gleniffer, Toledo, oak; Augusta, Toledo, oak; Neelon, Toledo, oak; Benson, Amherstburg, oak, for Pt. Metcalf; Greenwood, staves.

All the Captains report having experienced unusually rough weather during the last three weeks, and claim that the sailors are the only ones who have made any money, as many of the vessels have been from eight to fifteen days over the usual time in making similar trips. Captain Saxy Brooks carried away his rudder in Lake Ontario going up, and lost his large anchor on Lake Erie on the down trip, which was caused by a damaged link in the anchor chain parting, when he had 40 fathoms of it "paid" out.

The arrivals at Portsmouth for the Chicago & St. Lawrence Co.'y were: Mary Grover, Toronto, 11,000 bush. wheat; tug Jessie Hall and barges Kansas and Dorchester, 1,300 tons coal from Fairhaven; tug F. Perew and barges Europa and Arthur, 600 tons railroad iron, from Montreal. The departures were: Tug F. Perew with barges Europa and Arthur, railroad iron, for Belleville; tug Jessie Hall and two barges, 1,200 tons coal, and two barges 35,000 bush. wheat, for Montreal.

The schr. L. Seaton arrived here on Sunday morning with 466 tons of coal for Mr. James Swift. He paid $279.60 duty. This will be paid by the consumers, one of the beauties of the National Policy. Let the electors ponder over this fact.


Schr. L. Seaton, Cleveland, 466 tons coal.

Schr. Jennie White, Cleveland, grindstones.

Str. Glenfinlas, Montreal, pass. and fgt.

Prop. Persia, Montreal, pass. and fgt.

Str. Corsican, Montreal, pass. and fgt.

Barge Cayuga, Oswego, 500 tons coal.

Barge Oswego, Oswego, 575 tons coal.

Schr. B.W. Folger, Oswego, 240 tons coal.

p.3 Whats The News? - The port of Deseronto has been appointed a port of registry for the registration of ships.

The yacht Laura has been sold to Oswego parties for $250.

sloops Sidney, Moria (sic - Moira ?) and Murray on their way with lumber from Trenton. One of the barges ran aground at the Hog's Back.



About half-past six on Thursday evening the lookout on the life saving station noticed what he thought to be a signal of distress, about five miles off this harbor. The life boat was quickly launched, but before she reached the scene the tug Wheeler, Capt. Ferris, reached the object, which proved to be a capsized fish boat, containing two young men named George and Leslie Weaver. The boat was towed ashore and its occupants removed to the life-saving station.

The two men gave the following statement: "We came here (Oswego) on Tuesday last from Sandy Creek on business and started to return home. The wind was then blowing a nice sailing breeze from the south, and we went along all right till almost off Nine Mile Point, when a heavy puff struck the boat, turning her over on her side, in which position she lay full of water until picked up by the tug. At this time the boat was about half a mile from the shore, and the older of the two brothers would have attempted to swim ashore but for the hope that a small vessel then coming around Nine Mile Point, would pick them up. The wind blew so hard, however, that they had drifted far out into the lake before the vessel reached a point opposite where they were. After drifting out for about six miles the wind changed to the north and the boat drifted shoreward. About noon, a tug having a stone scow in tow, passed within a mile of the boat, but they apparently saw nothing of us. During the day George Weaver removed his boots and trousers and attempted unsuccessfully to remove the ballast from the bottom of the boat hoping thus to right her and bail her out. In this operation his pants containing $25 went to the bottom. At about six o'clock we were apparently about four miles from the light house. The wind changed to the south again and the boat commenced drifting out again. Having been in the ice cold water all day we were both chilled through, and as night was fast approaching we had about given up all hope of ever reaching the land again, when picked up by the tug Wheeler."

The boat in which the young men attempted to make the trip is an ordinary fish boat about eighteen feet long, sloop rigged, and decked over about one-third forward. She was righted and bailed out last night and they will start again this morning. [Oswego Express]

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
May 22, 1882
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Comment on this item
Groups of Related Records
Kingston Newspaper clippings
Other Web sites/External links
Daily British Whig, 22 May 1882 Daily British Whig, 22 May 1882
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), May 22, 1882