The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), July 5, 1882

Full Text

p.2 Yachting Challenges - Ella vs Emma.

Death Of A Veteran - John Marceau, a shipcarpenter of long residence.

ads for excursions on Maud and Hero.

ad - Toronto & Ogdensburg Line of Steamers - Armenia, City of Montreal and Cuba, with schedule. July 5th

p.3 Whats The News? - It was the rail instead of the keel of the Glenora that was painted green. J. McCammon was a shipwright on the vessel instead of a blacksmith.

tug Metamora and barges Manley, Benson and Russel clear for Algoma Mills with rails.

tug Henry and barges unloading ties from Ottawa; steam barge Norman loading ties and posts for Oswego.

Clayton's Gala Day - yacht Emma not allowed to race; gives sailing regulations.



The disastrous tidal wave which broke at Cleveland, Ohio, a few days ago has raised examination of the records, and it is found that these phenomena have not been infrequent. Chas. Whittlesey, a Cleveland scientist, furnishes the following record of the tidal waves on the inland lakes:

On Lake Superior in 1879, opposite Isle Royal, there was a sudden fall of 4 feet in the waters. When they returned they did so with a rush, the vibration continuing for several hours. In 1834 the waters above the Sault Rapids suddenly receded, and in half an hour returned with great velocity. In August 1845, Dr. Foster states that while in an open boat, between Copper Harbor and Eagle River, an enormous surge 20 feet in height and crested with foam, rolled toward the shore, succeeded by two or three swells. Dr. Foster observed repeated flows and reflux of the waters in 1847, '48 and 1849, which preceded or followed storms on the lake. In 1851 D.D. Brockway reported, in a perfect calm, a sudden rise of 1 ft. 3 in., and in another 2 1/2 ft. (?). The Lake Superior News of July 17th, 1855, reports extreme fluctuations between the hours of 9 in the morning and 4 in the evening. On April 14th, 1858, the Milwaukee Sentinel reported a change of level in Lake Michigan of six feet. May 10th, 1823, at Otter Creek on the Canadian shore wave came in nine feet in height, and the same occurrence took place at Kettle Creek twenty miles distant. In 1844 or 1845 a wave came into Euclid Creek fifteen feet in height, carrying everything before it. On November 18th, 1845, the water at Cleveland suddenly fell two and eight-tenths feet during a high wind from the southwest.

The Toledo Blade records a change of ten feet on December 5th, 1856. On June 15th, 1872, at Charlotte, at the mouth of the Genesee river, the water rose twenty-two inches. In May 1855, the waters of Seneca Lake exhibited a phenomena of continued rise and fall of sixteen and a half inches to two feet, through two days.

At Madison Dock, Lake county, in 1830, a wave swept in suddenly from the lake, bearing a crest of foam fifteen feet above the ordinary level of the water, and carrying everything before it. It receded as swiftly as it came and was immediately followed by a second wave and then by a third of diminished height. The lake then subsided to a placid calm as before the phenomenon. Fifteen years later a similar wave, estimated to be fifteen feet in height, suddenly flooded Euclid creek, sweeping away everything within its reach.

Novel Pleasuring - canoe trip from Buffalo along Lake Ontario to St. Lawrence. [Oswego paper]

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
July 5, 1882
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), July 5, 1882