The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 17, 1882

Full Text



The schrs. Grantham and Louise have arrived at Garden Island from Detroit, with oak timber.

The steambarge Erin and barge Maggie are expected in today with grain from Charlotte.

The following grain charters are reported from Chicago for Kingston: schooner Hoboken, 20,000 bushels wheat; prop. Argyle, 20,000 bushels wheat.

The steamer Armenia brought up yesterday from Alexandria Bay a number of boats and guns, the property of sports. They were entered at the Custom House and will be returned to the States.

The steamer Corsican passed down this morning. It has been several days since any of the Mail line boats went east. They were running somewhat wild, owing to the stormy weather.

The Chicago Board of Underwriters have made the trip rates as follows on A 1 vessels: To ports on Lake Erie, $1.25; ports on Lake Ontario, $1.75; Ogdensburg, $1.90; Montreal, $2.25; B 1 vessels have 10 per cent added.

The steam barge Erin, and barge Maggie, from Detroit, with grain for Kingston, reached Port Colborne the other day, having encountered such rough weather that the barge's bulwarks were knocked out in order to keep the water clear of the decks. A protest was noted there.

The raised schooner Gulnair will be laid up for the winter. She has been but little damaged. The boat has been troublesome ever since the severe shaking she got off the Burlington piers in the storm last spring, and it is intended to put new braces in and otherwise strengthen her before next season.

The schr. Gulnair arrived last evening at Garden Island, in tow of the wrecking steamer Conqueror. The vessel is now discharging her cargo, but the steam pumps are still aboard of her. She left Toronto on Sunday evening, but became befogged, and had to lay up off Gull Island lighthouse.

The work of fitting up the dry dock of Commodore Fraser is progressing rapidly. The sunken barge Odessa has been removed, but difficulty is being experienced in pumping out the Linnet. Twenty men were engaged yesterday in the work, but their efforts were futile. The steam pumps from Garden Island will now be utilized. The removal of the hull of the schooner Ellen will entail difficulty. She is now cut down to the water line. As soon as the obstructions are removed the dredge will get to work. Capt. Fraser hopes to have the dry dock in position in two weeks.


Schr. Julia, Fairhaven, light.

Schr. Philo Bennett, Oswego, light.

Prop. City of Montreal, Ogdensburg, pass. and fgt.

Barge Jet, Montreal, 120 tons iron.

Barge Swan, Montreal, 121 tons iron.

Barge Finch, Montreal, 58 tons iron.

Schr. North Star, Toronto, 16,000 bu. wht.

Schr. Maggie McRae, Manistee, 35,000 bu. deals (sic).

Barge Ontario, Cataraqui Mills, ties.



Throughout yesterday the head of the Lachine Rapids presented a scene at once interesting and novel, a vigorous attempt being made to get off the tug George Harris and the barge of lumber aground on the rocks, as last week noticed. For this purpose four powerful tugs were brought into requisition early in the forenoon each fully manned and equipped with chains, cables, and all the apparatus necessary for the work on hand. Some eight canoes with Indians were also pressed into the service, and the whole started out from Lachine together, making up a tolerably formidable and picturesque fleet as they steamed and paddled down the current to where the distressed craft were lying. Arriving within fifty yards or so of the spot the tugs halted. The end of a hawser of the largest size was thrown off and taken on board the largest canoe, which, with its campanions, was quickly within a few boat lengths of the stranded tug. Here a difficulty arose, owing to the tug having shifted during the night, further broadside to the rapids, rendering it more dangerous to get near her with the canoes. After considerable manoeuvring, in which Indian dexterity in canoe management was fully exemplified, a boarding was effected and the end of the hawser made fast to the capstan. At a given signal the tugs were set in motion and the power of all four brought to bear on the hawser. The outset promised well, for the stranded tug and barge were brought round bows facing current and were making slow headway. At this point, however, the barge separated from the tug and was carried rapidly backward to near the spot it had left, where it now lies broadside, with the rapids breaking over it. The worst was yet to come. Thinking it would be comparatively an easy matter to tow the tug up the current when disengaged from the barge, additional steam was put on, when, all at once the hawser broke in two and back went the tug with great velocity, stranding again a trifle further down in the rapids than the place she had just left. This occurred late in the afternoon, and operations were consequently suspended till today. Stronger cables and an additional tug were despatched in the afternoon to the scene, and it is thought the tug will be hauled into safe quarters tonight. The barge is expected to be a total loss. The strength of the current at the place indicated would scarcely be believed from external appearance. The hawser which this single tug broke was one of the largest size, and has been known to tow from 8 to 12 barges of lumber in any ordinary current with ease. [Montreal Witness]

ad - Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co. - Royal Mail Line - Change of Time, Commencing Today, Oct. 17th. - details.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 17, 1882
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 17, 1882