The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 27, 1882

Full Text



Loss Of A Schooner - The Captain And Four Hands Gone.

Over Thirty Hours On A Raft.

Buffalo, N.Y., Nov. 25th - A despatch received gives details of the loss of the schooner Collingwood on Lake Michigan in Tuesday's hurricane. The schooner loaded telegraph poles at St. Helena's Island for Chicago. She had a crew of eight men including Capt. Willets, of Kingston, Ont., part owner. When fifteen miles north of Milwaukee and twenty miles from shore the vessel went to pieces, and the Captain with four men were lost. The remainder of the crew were picked up late on Friday night off Grand Haven by the propeller Wisconsin. They had been over thirty hours on a raft twelve feet square, at the mercy of wind and waves.

A Survivor's Story.

One of the survivors tells the following story of the disaster: "On Thursday afternoon the Collingwood, which had been laboring heavily through the storm, became waterlogged, and to add to our ill luck one of the pumps choked, and we felt that our chances for life were becoming very small. This was about 4 p.m. and the darkness was fast settling down. At 5 o'clock the storm was raging its fiercest, when an unusually heavy blast carried the schooner over on her side until the topmast went over board, when she again righted. An hour later the decks burst out, and she went over again on her side for the last time, going suddenly to pieces. I saw Capt. Willet and three of the crew who had

Managed To Get On Spars

then, and in the hurry of a desperate effort to save my own life I lost sight of them thereafter. Sheldon, the mate of the Collingwood, had secured a large piece of deck about twelve feet square, on which he, myself, another sailor, and the steward embarked. This was about half past six. The sea was terrible and the night bitterly cold, with a tremendous storm prevailing. The steward suffered more from exposure, being less used to hardship than we were, and during the night he

Became Crazy From Exposure

and terror. He died before morning, leaving but three of us on the raft. We floated about suffering terribly, and tortured by thoughts of what our fate might be, until at last we sighted the Wisconsin, when you may be sure we were overjoyed at our good luck, as I don't believe we could have survived the exposure much longer."

The Collingwood was uninsured, valued at $3,000 and her cargo at $8,000.

The Bullock In Distress.

Oswego, N.Y., Nov. 25th - The appearance of the schr. L.D. Bullock, Capt. Eccles, as she came into port this afternoon indicated that she had just passed through a terrible ordeal. The Bullock left Deseronto at 12 o'clock last night with 11,900 bushels of barley for Oswego with the wind blowing about eight or nine miles an hour from the north west. About nine o'clock this morning when 15 miles south of the False Ducks, with a mainsail, foresail, and three jibs set, a squall suddenly came down on the schooner. Both topmasts and part of the mainmast were snapped off, and the bowsprit and jibboom sprung. The jibs were blown into ribbons, and the foresail and mainsail split. The schooner came into port with a portion of her foresail and mainsail set. The damage is about one thousand dollars, and the schooner is insured for about three fifths of her value, consequently the owners will recover three fifths of her damage.

A Terrible Buffet.

Buffalo, Nov. 25th - The hardest looking craft that entered the harbour was the three masted schr. Henry Folger, which was commanded by Capt. Macdonald, of Clayton, N.Y. The Folger had coal for Brockville, Ont. One of the crew says that at five o'clock yesterday morning the seas made a clean breach over the deck, and it was impossible to go forward or aft. Her headsails, forejibs and foresail were carried clear out of the boat ropes and the yawl boat were lost. The hawser box was swept from the deck, and her seams opened. She came into the harbour with here and there a bit of canvass hanging to the rigging, her bulwarks stove in and apparently making water.

p.3 Here & There - Conqueror reached Sarnia with prop. Kincardine.

steam dredges working on Murray Canal.

129 hands employed on boats on Rideau Canal, wages from $18 to $40 per month.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 27, 1882
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 27, 1882