The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Dec. 5, 1882

Full Text

p.2 Marine Disasters - Milwaukee, Dec. 5th - On Sunday night the Goodrich steamer Deeprere ran ashore a mile south of Two Rivers. She had no passengers. The crew were saved. The cargo may prove a total loss. The steamer was valued at $25,000. The schr. L. Perry was stranded on the same night 6 miles north of Sheboygan. No lives lost. Loss $7,000.

Stealing An Anchor And Chain - from barge Maid of Erin.



Yesterday afternoon a gale blew from the South, increasing in violence as darkness set in. Snow accompanied the wind, making the effects more serious. About 7 o'clock the storm was the fiercest of which we have any remembrance. About 8 o'clock the tug McArthur arrived from Oswego, and a dozen vesselmen sought her Captain and Mr. W. Leslie (aboard of her) for news of vessels on the lake. It was learned that the schrs. A.G. Ryan and O'Gorman had broken from the tug, that the sea was something dreadful. The O'Gorman was thought to be all right, but the Ryan was felt to be suffering. A dozen men kept watch for her. About ten o'clock they saw lights on the lee of Four Mile Point and then breathed easier. Meantime a report was circulated that the vessels were lost, and, of course, excitement became high in marine circles. The rumor increased the anxiety felt about the other vessels, of whose whereabouts nothing was known.

A Vessel Captain's Statement.

This morning the schr. A.G. Ryan ran alongside Swift's wharf, laden with 230 tons of coal. Capt. C. Allen related his experience, thus: "We left Oswego at 1:30 o'clock for Kingston in tow of the McArthur. The schooner M. O'Gorman (Capt. G. Malone) was in rear of us. The wind when we left was blowing fresh from the south. When we got 15 miles off Oswego we encountered the first rough weather. Here the O'Gorman broke away from us. The vessel was light and did her best under the circumstances. The sea rolled mountains high. Off the False Ducks we got into the worst of the gale. Our line parted, taking the windlass bit with it. The tug steamed on, leaving us to our own resources. Our foresail was up and with this we managed to get under the lee of the Ducks. We then squared away and made for Nine Mile Point, running through the biggest sea I ever saw. The schooner was full to the rail all the time. The bulwarks on the starboard side were knocked out and the water swept the decks of every thing movable. After a hard struggle we ran under the lee of Four Mile Point and remained there until the morning. The O'Gorman followed us and lay at our stern. The waves were 30 feet high at Nine Mile Point. I don't care to have such an experience again."

A. LaRoche, mate on the Ryan, has been sailing for thirty years. He declares that he has never been through such a gale.

Positions of Other Crafts.

The Prince Alfred, from Charlotte, ran into the harbor about 7 o'clock. She had a quick trip though a rough passage.

The schr. Anna M. Foster (Captain Ryan), left Oswego yesterday morning. She has not been seen since. It is thought that she ran into the Upper Gap.

Enquiries are being made about the schr. Florence Howard. She has been out during the past few days.

The steamer Conqueror left Port Dalhousie today for Kingston.

A steamboat owner asked $500 to tow the schrs. B.W. Folger and White Oak to Oswego. They have barley cargoes.

Oliver Mowat's Arrival.

About 1 o'clock the schr. Oliver Mowat, Capt. Saunders, ran into the harbor, having made the trip from Charlotte in less than seven hours. Capt. Saunders reports a heavy sea rolling outside. A vessel was seen lying under South Bay Point, supposed to be the schr. Mary Ann Lydon; another under the main Ducks. He could not see her name, but it is thought she is the schr. Annie M. Foster.

Navigation for the season on the Welland Canal closed on Tuesday, Dec. 5th.

The body of another of the crew of the Folger is reported to have come ashore.

The schr. Mary, Captain Chisholm, bound for Kingston, had to put in at Port Hope for shelter in advance of the storm. The tug Albert Wright towed her in and the crew felt thankful.

The schr. Midland Rover, with a cargo of coal, was driven ashore yesterday afternoon in the western channel of Toronto harbour. A boat put out and took off the crew, with the exception of three men, who remained on board. The boat, while making for the shore, was capsized, and the cook, Hatti Haight, and one sailor were drowned.

A special, received from Milford, announces that the schr. Eliza Quinlan went ashore at South Bay Point yesterday noon. All hands were saved. The Quinlan is owned by Mr. Van Zluk. She rates B-1 and was valued at $3,000.

Deseronto Doings - The bay froze over on Saturday night and ice is now three inches thick in some places.

The schrs. Jamieson and Freeman came down the reach yesterday and were brought into port by the tug Sherwood through several miles of ice. The tug leaves again this evening to bring the Quinte in; also to release the steam yacht which carries the dead bodies from the Folger wreck. She is frozen in two miles of ice.

Captains are not very much startled by the absence of the Annie M. Foster. They declare that vessels that left Oswego yesterday morning are safe. They would get across the lake before the gale began.

Project Revived - to run a line of props. from Ogdensburg to Chicago.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Dec. 5, 1882
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Dec. 5, 1882