The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), June 30, 1883

Full Text



The schr. Gibraltar is loading wheat at Hamilton for Kingston.

The tug Active and schrs. Glenora and Gaskin have gone to Oswego to load coal.

The Conqueror has been righted and now lies upon her bottom. Pumps will be put aboard tonight and pumped out as quickly as possible.

The schr. Bismarck has cleared for Toledo. She led the Prussia, Bavaria and Siberia by some 12 hours between Port Dalhousie and Kingston.

The Mail says: Sixteen days picking up a cargo of grain in this port is the fate of the schooner Dundee, with the Annie Falkiner (sic - Falconer) reported as cutting the rates. And yet we wonder at crime.

Shippers report another fall in lake freights all round. It was thought a few days ago that starvation prices were reached, but it seems as if that figure has sunk lower than ever. It is only temporary, however.

When the accident to the steamer Rothesay occurred Capt. Sughrue was at the wheel. He had run the river as Captain and pilot for fifty years and knows every spot in it, but the high water this year has obliterated the marks formerly visible.

The steamer Quinte undertook to lead the Hero from Picton to Townsend's Wood this morning on the down trip, but like all other steamers on the Bay of Quinte had to succumb to the inevitable. The Hero is running a reputation for speed which will be hard for the future steamers to beat.

The steam yacht Rosamond, of Belleville, made her first trip under the direction of Mr. J. McEwen, of Kingson, who furnished the engine and boiler. The party on board numbered in all twenty two. The craft slipped so easily through the water as to thoroughly satisfy both owners and builder. The highest pressure of steam carried was forty pounds. Under all the circumstances the Rosamond is to be regarded as a success.

Particulars of the accident to the steamer Spartan are to hand. When she ran in the west end of Caribean Island, Lake Superior, 100 miles from Sault Ste. Marie, the weather was very foggy. The steamer blew her whistle constantly, but running at the rate of 14 miles an hour. She was going at such a speed that she was driven the full length of herself on the rocks, in about six feet of water, and her hold was soon filled. The wind the day after the accident was strong and it is said that waves struck against the stranded boat with such force that she was badly strained, and trembled from one end to the other as each wave struck her. The water guards were torn away, and the cabin floor and state-rooms broken through from the force of the water. It is thought that if she is taken off it will not be accomplished without a good deal of trouble. The Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Company placed the steamer in the hands of the underwriters, but from the insurance agent yesterday it appears that the steamer will be got off with slight damage.

July 2, 1883

not published

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
June 30, 1883
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), June 30, 1883