The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Sept. 5, 1883

Full Text



The schr. Foster is taking on ore for Fairhaven.

The tug Active and consorts have cleared for Toledo.

The steam barge Garden Island will probably be launched on Tuesday.

The pumps have again got to work upon the prop. Prussia and she is bound to come up.

The schr. Penokee, Chicago, 21,992 bushels of corn, and the schr. Monitor, Milwaukee, 20,000 bushels of wheat, have arrived in port.

The Indian and barges have cleared from Deseronto with ties for Niagara. From there she clears for Byng Inlet, where she will load timber for Collinsby.

The steamer Passport ran into the Armstrong at Brockville yesterday. The latter's guard in front was smashed in and some of the upper works considerably shaken up.

The schrs. Bismarck and Prussia have arrived at Garden Island with pine timber. They load iron rails at Stewart's for Algoma Mills, then go to Byng Inlet for another load of timber.

The dredging of Belleville harbour will proceed at once. E. Munson has the contract. The Belleville Council have supplemented the $6,000 given by the Government by a vote of $4,000.

Mr. Senecal, the President of the Royal Mail Line, has issued orders that if there are indications of foul weather the steamers must not leave port. The upbound steamer in consequence lay here last night.

It is proposed to take the steamer Rothesay off her present route, between Clayton and Dickinson's Landing, about the 15th inst. The Prince Arthur, however, will continue to make regular trips to Montreal every other day.

Nearly all the ore has been taken out of the sunken schooner Sam Cooke, and the final work of raising her will proceed. An old barge is to be sunk across her bow for the purpose of breaking the force of the current. When the work of raising the Cooke is completed the barge will be blown up with dynamite.

The schooner Monitor, from Milwaukee, while endeavoring to make port yesterday afternoon, ran upon the shoal off Point Frederick. She went on hard, rising out of the water two feet forward. Tugs tried to pull her off but failed. A barge and elevator went to lighten her. The Captain made his first trip to this port and was evidently not aware of the proper courses to take.

Mr. Curran, engineer, and Mr. Bissonette, diver, have returned to the city from Brockville, where they operated on the sunken propeller Prussia. Mr. Curran says the boat sunk after being got up part-ways, in consequence of the pumps stopping, but the fault was not his. He left them all right, and went to dinner, leaving the machinery in charge of a man from Port Huron. He hardly sat down to his meal when Capt. T. Donnelly said there was no water in the pump boiler forward. He found that the feeds had been choked, that the suction had been put into the grain and burst. He had to put the fire out, and before the pumps could be got in working order again the propeller had sunk in deeper water. The diver says he patched the propeller as well as he could. He says the whole forefoot is gone, and there is a hole 8 x 4 in the starboard bow. It is not likely the propeller can be raised by pumps.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Sept. 5, 1883
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Sept. 5, 1883