The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 21, 1883

Full Text



The forwarders have ceased operations for the season.

The schr. Wm. Elgin has stripped and gone into winter quarters.

The schr. Acacia is here with coal from Oswego. She has made her last trip.

It was one of the Athabasca's pontoons that was picked up at Point Traverse.

The schr. St. Louis has reached port with coal from Sandusky. She will probably lay up here.

The schrs. W.H. Rounds, Mynostis and King, corn laden, from Chicago, sailed down the river today.

The propeller Enterprise, laden with C.P.R. supplies, arrived at Port Arthur all O.K. - first report of her since the storm.

The tug Bronson has gone to the assistance of the tug Frank Perew, now bound up the river with a big tow of barges, light.

Capt. Griffin, of the schr. Leadville, is quite a romancer, but his late adventure on the schooner was too spicy "by a large majority."

Capt. J.F. Allan has returned from his expedition with the Chieftain to the wreck of the Siberia. The vessel will be a total loss.

President Paddon has just finished the payment of all the debts contracted by the Sailor's Union in 1883. He completes his year with a clear sheet.

The schr. Wm. Home, with wheat for Kingston, has been lightened at Sackett's Harbour and will be towed here by the steamer Maud as soon as the weather moderates.

The steamer Conqueror has been raised and the holes in her bottom patched. She is being pumped out now. Her repairs will probably be made at Ogdensburg.

The propeller Celtic, from Brockville, reached Duluth on Friday, having been fifteen days on her way from Windsor. She reports cold weather and much ice in Lake Superior.

The schr. Anna Foster is loading barley at Bath at 3 cents; the schr. O.S. Storrs, barley at Kingston at 3 cents; the schr. Singapore, at Howe Island, barley at 4 cents. She takes the grain from farmers' waggons.

Captain D.H. Brown commanded the schooner James Wade. The first mate was E. Bosham, of Detroit. There were four seamen, names unknown. It is supposed the Wade foundered in Lake Erie with all hands.

The stern part of the str. Algoma is at Charlotte and the bow at McDonald's Cove. The tug Metamora had the latter, but while going through the Gap her stern-post was pulled out and the tow-line became entangled in the wheel. The tug came to Kingston for repairs.

The tugs will take the Alberta to Port Dalhousie as soon as possible. There is great interest in the records made by the tugs in running between Port Dalhousie and Kingston. The tug Active covered the distance in 18 hours, the Hastings in 19 hours, the D.D. Porter in 15 hours, and the Chieftain in 13 hours. The Captains say the latter was not working by the day, but that she made the trip in as short a time as possible in order to get under pay. The other Captains, with so much per day, think that life is too short to make great time.

The Schooner Florence Howard Sinks.

On Tuesday night the schooner Florence Howard, laden with barley from Wellington for Oswego, sprang a leak when she started and on Thursday, when 10 miles off West Point she anchored. The crew pumped for 24 hours, completely exhausting themselves. Finally the vessel was abandoned the crew being rescued by the life-saving crew stationed at Wellington. The Howard sank in 70 feet of water. After giving up the craft the crew retired to the cabin where they spent some time in making taffy. The Captain, when the boat began to settle, told the men to take to the yawl, from which they were picked up. The crew numbered six or seven. One of the seamen named Scott came to Kingston this morning on the steamer Hero. He was in the schooner Vision at the time of her mishap near Oswego.

Later - The Howard sank about 4 miles west north west of Salmon Point. She took on 5,000 bushels of barley at Wellington and left there yesterday afternoon to go to West Point to finish. When the leak was found all sail was made with a view to running into Weller's Bay or Presqu'ile and beaching her but about 4 miles west north west of Salmon Point she was becalmed. The Howard was built three years ago and classed A 2 1/2 and had a capacity of 7,000 bushels; valued at $4,000; insured in the Continental. The barley belonged to W.D. Matthews & Co. of Toronto.

p.3 Personal Mention - Mr. J.B. Lemere, General Manager of the Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Company, aged 60, died at Montreal.

Nov. 22, 1883


Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 21, 1883
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 21, 1883