The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 23, 1883

Full Text



Capt. Maurice Langan has offered $100 for the recovery of his brother's body.

The schrs. M.A. Lydon, Maria Annette and Two Brothers are in winter quarters at Port Hope.

The steamship Alberta was raised yesterday and about 3 o'clock the tugs started with her for Port Dalhousie.

If the present fine weather continues there is every probability that considerable freights will be handled on the lakes.

Andrew Ferguson, of St. Thomas, replaced Loftus as mate on the schr. E. Fitzgerald, which was lost off Port Rowan.

The schr. Polly M. Rogers is on the lakes, bound for Cape Vincent. Her cargo, 22,000 bushels of wheat, is for a Watertown miller.

The schr. Geo. C. Finney, ashore at Ford's Shoals, has been released. The vessel will be docked at Mitchell & Gallagher's Oswego.

The chains which were lashed around the pontoons attached to the steamship Algoma cut through them and they filled with water. In this condition the craft was taken to Charlotte. It will require some time to make repairs.

The tug James Clarke has just reached Goderich and the word is given that the sea during a storm struck the craft knocked the cabin over and swept away the Captain's wife and two children. They were drowned before his eyes.

The str. Norseman was laid up on Tuesday last for the season. The season has not been as profitable a one as might have been expected, in fact was the worst that has been experienced for six or seven years. During the past three weeks only about eight trips have been made.

The new steamer for the Alexandria Bay and Cape Vincent route will be side-wheeled, with a speed of 15 miles an hour. She will be owned by a new Company, called "The Thousand Island Steamboat Company," consisting of the Folger Bros., A.F. Barker and Captain William Reese, of Clayton.

Capt. D. Noonan, of the steambarge R. Anglin, one of the most pushing mariners on the Rideau has just reached port with a full cargo of grain for R.J. Eilbeck (Ellbeck ?). He was caught in the ice, but for five days broke through it at the rate of three miles a day. After he had reached Brewer's Mills the thaw came on and the boat had no further trouble. The Captain was bound to deliver his cargo if he had to slide the steamer to Kingston on runners. He will leave at once for Westport with a cargo of merchandize, and to accommodate his patrons down the canal, the steambarge Freemason has been secured to take a second load. Both vessels will bring back grain cargoes.

p.3 A Yachting Circuit - suggested.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 23, 1883
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 23, 1883