The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 27, 1883

Full Text

p.3 Yesterday's Storm - W. McRossie's raft broken up in Cataraqui Bay.

Here & There - Athabasca halves arrive at Buffalo.

schrs. Fitzgerald, Leadville and Blazing Star, sunk near Long Point, Lake Erie, being stripped.

steamer Hero storm-bound at Prinyer's Cove.


She Goes Down In The Great Gale of Yesterday Afternoon.

Her Crew Reach The Shore.

Yesterday at 12:30 o'clock the schr. Eureka, owned by Messrs. Chambers and Chadwick, the former of whom sailed her, left Oswego with 270 tons of coal for P. Walsh, of this city. The wind was then blowing pretty fresh. At 3 o'clock it shifted to the south south-west, very strong. Capt. Chambers said he had to jibe the vessel. The sea rolled over the lee rail and she labored heavily. Off the Main Ducks she sprunk a leak and the men were ordered to the pumps, at which they worked energetically for a long time. Capt. Chambers saw that the water was gaining upon them, but caused no alarm by talking about it. About 6 o'clock, when bearing south-west off Pigeon Island light, an attempt was made to beach the schooner, and a man was sent aloft to unfurl the gaff top sail, but in the terrible blow he could do nothing. It seemed to be now quite certain that the vessel

Could Not Remain Afloat

but a few minutes - she was filling fast - and the Captain called the crew to the stern. "Boys," said he, "we must leave the vessel." He made a cut at the ropes holding up one end of the yawl. He missed his mark, but a second blow was successful in severing the binders. A member of the crew cut the other end of the yawl loose and they jumped into it. They had not time to go to save their personal effects. The Captain lost a new suit of clothing and $30 which were in his vest pocket. The others got away with the dress which they wore. The Eureka went down shortly after being abandoned and will never be recovered. She was valued at $2,500, was insured for $1,800 in the Thames & Mursey Company, and classed B 2. Capt. Chambers said he and his crew were in the yawl for three hours, and floated with the wind and sea to Simcoe Island. They left the vessel at 6 o'clock and reached the shore about 9 o'clock. They had a dreadful experience, and though naturally brave-hearted

Despaired Of Seeing Home

and friends again. They were wet, cold, and almost helpless when they arrived at the house of Mr. Horne, who, with his family, treated the shipwrecked men most kindly. This morning they came to the city from Simcoe Island upon the scow Minnie. Captain Chambers says he was on the barque British Lyon (sic - Lion) when she was wrecked off Long Point, eight years ago; and he was on the George Thurston when she was wrecked in Georgian Bay last fall, but he never felt such a blow as that of yesterday; and his opinion is that of Stephen Tyo (his mate), George Belcher and James Shughrue, members of his crew. He says the men remained at their post until the last, that in danger they acted heroically.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 27, 1883
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 27, 1883