The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 26, 1886

Full Text



The schrs. Foster and Dudley have arrived in Oswego from Kingston with 22,000 bush. of grain.

A car load of damaged grain, taken from the sunken prop. Myles, was shipped to Cobourg today.

The prop. Glengarry, Toledo, with 22,600 bush. corn, and consort schr. Glenora, with 43,000 bush. corn, are in port.

The steamer Rideau Belle is in ordinary at Anglin's dock, and the schr. Glenora and Julia have gone into winter quarters.

The steambarge Belle Wilson, ashore near Oswego, has been released and is now on the dry dock. She lost her shoe and strained its hull.

The steambarge Glengarry, with her consort the Glenora, arrived last night. She had two crews aboard. The second crew was taken on at Port Dalhousie.

Last Sunday the schr. Gaskin cleared for Oswego. Before sailing Capt. Gaskin offered the men $2 per day, but the crew, thinking they would be absent only three days, refused the offer, and consented to ship for $8 per man for the round trip. Owing to bad weather the Gaskin has been compelled to lie in Oswego harbour, and her crew, of course, have been keeping her company. They will by tomorrow night have worked a week for $8.


Mr. W.E. Bell, of this city, second pilot on the steamer Wallace, which with her consort, a schooner, were wrecked near Grand Marias, on Wednesday, 13th inst., gives the following account of the disaster:

"We left Duluth Monday afternoon, having on board 110,000 bushels of wheat, the steamer having 50,000 and the schooner 60,000. We experienced no trouble until Wednesday morning, when the gale struck us off Grand Marais. We kept on, hoping to be able to weather the gale, but it kept increasing in force every minute. At last we saw it was no use in trying to head it. After coming about we ran for about an hour before a driving snow storm. We were under a check, but the weather was so thick one could not see a boat's length. Thinking we might be getting close in shore the line was thrown and it was found we were in shallow water. Before we could sheer off the barge struck. The heavy seas smashed in the after cabin almost immediately. A part of the crew who were asleep at the time, had barely an opportunity to escape to the forward cabin in the clothes in which they stood. The schooner smashed in on us, breaking her jibboom over our stern, and then fell off and grounded further in. Fortunately, both vessels after they struck headed up into the wind. This probably saved the lives of all on board. It was 1 o'clock Thursday morning when we struck. We had no idea of where we were, and there was nothing to do but hold on and hope that we had gone ashore near where we could receive assistance. About three o'clock the storm broke a little, and we caught a glimpse of Marquette light. From that time until the life-saving crew reached us we had nothing to do but keep quiet and wait."

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 26, 1886
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 26, 1886