The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 10, 1887

Full Text



Eleven years ago Capt. S.C. Malcolmson - now commanding the Laura, of Toronto, and called Little Sam to distinguish him from other members of this seafaring family - sailed the sunken Jessie Scarth out of Hamilton for a Scottish port with a load of square timber. Later in the same year, 1876, a whole fleet of vessels with timber left the lakes for the other side of the Atlantic. The vessels were the Thomas C. Street, Edward Blake, Thistle, Shamrock, W.G. Grant of Detroit and City of Manitowac. They were all "three and afters," but at Montreal the Grant was altered to a top-sail schooner. She went to Oporto, Spain. The Edward Blake, the McGarigle schooner, went to London. The late Capt. Thomsen, of Toronto, sailed the Blake. The Blake after unloading at London and being sheathed for salt water voyages sailed for South America and returned to Greenock, Scotland, coming direct from that port with railway iron for Adam Hope & Co., of Hamilton. The Scarth traded to the Baltic seas, but she and all the others finally returned to the "great unsalted seas" of this continent, and is now 40 fathoms deep under the waters of Lake Michigan. All these ships went on account of a Detroit man named Campbell, but the venture was probably not a profitable one. At any rate it has not been repeated, though occasionally a lake vessel goes into the ocean trade. The schooner City of Green Bay, which was lost a few days ago with all hands but one, used to trade between New Orleans, Charleston and Boston when the lake harbours were closed by ice, returning to the lakes in the spring.

p.8 Telling The Sad Story - Samuel O. Mills, one of the engineers on the ill-fated prop. California, writing to Mr. W.J. Pappa, gives the following particulars of the sad death of his daughter Ella: "I am the last one that she spoke to and I did my best to save her life. About 12:30 o'clock on Monday night all hands were called up and put on life preservers. I fixed on Ella's. Then I said, 'Ella are you ready? Did you say your prayers?' 'Yes,' she replied, 'I am prepared to die if I am taken.' Mrs. Blood, Ella and myself were just in front of the smokestack, inside the cabin, when suddenly we heard unearthly screams, and the water boiled up through the stairway. I grabbed Ella by the arm and started for the door, but before we got four feet the cabin filled and came crashing in on top of us, and that was the last I saw of her until she was washed ashore with eight others. Mrs. Blood happened to come up in the same place I did and I helped her out, but I could not find Emma, or any of the rest. She must have been washed down the stairs." The gold pencil worn at her neck is held by Mrs. Blood, who will return it to her parents. Her trunk was washed ashore and empty of its contents.

The interment of the deceased's remains occurred yesterday. At the house an affecting service was held by Rev. S.G. Bland, and the number of persons who followed the hearse to the point where carriages were taken for the cemetery was very large.


The tug Ontario and two barges cleared for Oswego yesterday afternoon.

The H.A. Calvin with a barge, laden with salt, arrived from Montreal yesterday.

Arrivals: prop. City of Montreal, Cleveland, 650 bbls coal oil; str. J.F. Maynard, Clayton, light.

Breck & Booth have chartered the schr. Neelon to carry ore to Cleveland. Freight, 80 cents.

The prop. Scotia arrived light from Ogdensburg yesterday, and will clear for the west as soon as her barges are discharged.

Fears are entertained that the schooner Morewood and Craftsman have suffered mishaps. They cleared from Chicago with grain before the late storms.

The barge Ark has been released from where she went ashore not greatly damaged. The steambarge Albion is a total wreck.

The steamer City of Montreal arrived yesterday from Cleveland with 650 barrels of coal oil. There are 400 barrels which will be shipped to Flach Brothers, Cornwall, and 250 barrels for Gunn & Co.

On Tuesday the schr. W.R. Taylor (Capt. James Dix) reached Chicago. She was laden with pig iron from Kingston. It is reported that she encountered the recent blow and suffered by it. Her mast heads were twisted and other damage done.

The steame Maynard came to the city from Clayton on Saturday and will winter here. All the steamers owned by the St. Lawrence River navigation company will go into ordinary near the Montreal Transportation company's shipyard.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 10, 1887
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 10, 1887