The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 19, 1887

Full Text



The steamer Norseman has gone into winter quarters at Port Hope.

The schr. Puritan discharged 300,000 ft. of lumber from Deseronto yesterday.

The California investigation is not likely to be resumed in Toronto, but will probably be finished where the witnesses can be more easily reached. However nothing will be done until orders are received from the department.

The schr. J.H. Breck cleared this morning for this city from Oswego with coal. The captain was telegraphed not to start out, but he had left before the message could reach him.

The props. Persia and Cuba are in port wind bound. Capt. Scott, of the Persia, laughs at the thoughts of being wind bound. He says it isn't, that he has never in years been so fixed, and his delay here is caused by the lightening of his cargo.


Up to ten o'clock today no news had been received of the schr. Glenora, laden with 42,000 bushels of wheat from Port Arthur, which broke away during the gale on Wednesday from the prop. Glengarry, when ten miles from Presque Isle. During last night the wind blew a gale, but today it was more violent, a "double-header," as a mariner remarked. Its effect on the missing vessel and crew has not been learned, but it is now the belief of the owners that the Glenora has gone down, and that the sailors have been drowned. It would be impossible for a vessel to float in the force of today's gale. The vessel is owned by the Montreal Transportation Company, was built two years ago, and is valued at about $18,000. The members of the crew were: Matthew Patterson, captain; William Patterson, the master's nephew; John Moreland, Picton; Harry Middleton and John Murray, of this city; Anthony Seabrooke, Seeley's Bay; Mrs. Middleton, cook.

Capt. Donnelly says that he believes the Glenora has been lost. If she was on any of the islands word could have been received before this. Of course if she was on the Galops or Main Ducks it would take time to hear from the captain, but she couldn't get down there. He thought the vessel's steering gear was damaged, and that she rolled to pieces by the sea.

It was intended, should the gale moderate, to send the steamers Active and Glengarry in search of the Glenora.

Capt. Matthew Patterson is about sixty years of age and has been in command since Capt. Geoghegan left the vessel some months ago. Capt. Patterson is a married man and lives at the Grove Inn. He sailed the schr. Singapore two years ago. William Patterson, mate, and nephew of the captain, is a son of Captain James Patterson, formerly part owner of the schr. Alpha. The mother of the young man lives on King street east and is well advanced in years.

Matthew Murphy, son of Joseph Murphy, of Montreal street, was on board. He had not been on the barge for a long time. For four years he filled the position of wheelsman on the tug McArthur. He is about twenty-four years of age.

Anthony Seabrooke is a resident of Pittsburgh.

John Moreland, one of the crew, is a resident of Picton, where his wife and family live. His son, Charles Moreland, is a compositor, and until lately worked in this office. A step-daughter, Miss Minnie Wallace, is an attendant at the general hospital. He has been a sailor for 40 years. Capt. Moreland, a farmer of Pittsburg, is his brother.

There is a boy on board the Glenora, and it is thought that his name is Murray.

Mr. and Mrs. Middleton, are residents of this city, and are well known.

Capt. McMaugh being spoken to this morning said that the prop. Glengarry and tug Active were ready to start in search of the missing boat. The wind was very high, and it was found impossible to keep the heads of the steamers to it. They, therefore, abandoned the idea of leaving port.

Capt. Gaskin stated that as soon as the wind moderated he would send all the tugs he had at his command in search of the Glenora. He felt confident at twelve o'clock that the boat was still afloat, notwithstanding that he was without information as to her whereabouts. He says she carries the heaviest anchor, 2,500 lbs., attached to any vessel afloat in Canadian waters. The chain holding it is inch and three quarters. If it has been cast the Glenora is still safe. She could not possibly break away. The anchor was formerly carried by the steamship Ontario.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 19, 1887
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 19, 1887