The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 28, 1887

Full Text

p.6 News From Napanee - Tuesday the str. Reindeer made her last trip to Deseronto. She will be pulled on the drydock and repaired. A compound engine will be put in by D. McEwen, Kingston, which will reduce the quantity of fuel used by about one-half. The boat is owned by Messrs. Allison & Collier.



The Way The Sailors Were Taken Off By Big-Hearted Fishermen.

Thursday night the schooner Delaware went ashore at Point Peter while running from Oswego to Napanee. The vessel was light. Capt. Bartley, of Napanee, was in charge with a Belleville crew. The crew had no means of escape, the wind being so strong that they could not launch a boat, and the night was spent in terrible suspense. The bow was out about two feet and the sailors and cook were huddled together in the forecastle, expecting every moment to be washed away. On Friday the crew were rescued by a number of fishermen. The crew was composed of: Capt. Bartley, Napanee; E. Meachem, Philip Malyea, Joseph Labelle, Belleville; and Edward Herrington, South Bay. The cook was Philip Malyea's wife.

Edward Meachem told how they were rescued. They saw fishermen on the shore but they could not tell what was wanted. "They motioned," he said, "to say what we wanted, and I told Labelle to get a piece of board on which he wrote, 'Schr. Delaware. Bring out a boat if you can.' The piece of board was thrown out into the lake and after a time it drifted ashore. The fishermen then understood what we wanted, and they at once started back for a boat. With a span of horses they hauled a boat two miles down the beach and the crew were taken ashore two at a time. Some trouble was experienced in getting Malyea's wife ashore as the sea was still running high and she got wet from head to foot. We unshipped the schooner's wheel and stowed her rigging before deserting her. There was about two feet of water in her hold then, but I think she can be got off."

The Delaware has been engaged in the grain trade for years. The crew lost part of their clothing.


The prop. St. Magnus went to Oswego yesterday to load coal for Hamilton. Freight 75 cents.

Last week the schr. Singapore made the trip between Oswego and Kingston in five hours and twenty minutes.

The schrs. White Oak, Singapore, Clara White and Bennett have arrived from Oswego. The Bennett and White Oak have coal.

The schr. Merritt, laden with grain for Ogdensburg, which went ashore at Timber Island last week, was released on Saturday night, and taken to her destinatioin.

The prop. Dominion and schr. Augusta, laden with grain from Port Arthur for Richardson & Son, arrived in the Welland Canal yesterday, and are expected to reach here tomorrow.

The schr. Hannah Butler went ashore Saturday in a fog on Salmon Point reef, loaded with 9,000 bushels of barley. The crew were saved. The vessel and cargo will be a total loss.

Five thousand bushels of grain had to be removed from the schr. Newark before she was released. When the boat was afloat the grain was put back in her. Some of the cargo is damaged.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 28, 1887
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 28, 1887