No less than five yachts are in process of construction in various parts of Rochester.
G. Wilder will supply the milk, and Mr. McConville the meat for the mail line steamers.
Capt. C. Rees, Clayton, is fitting out the steamer John Maynard, extensively repaired at Portsmouth during the winter.
It has been rumored that a Kingston syndicate has the contract for the dry dock, but the statement cannot be verified.
Messrs. Black & Burnett, owners of the Vision, Cobourg, are making plans for a regatta to be held at that port this summer.
The yacht Guinivere, Toronto, was sailing about the bay in full commission before the middle of May (sic). This beats the record.
Capt. Frank Johnson, Adams, N.Y., last year master of the Jennie White, has been appointed master of the three-masted schr. Frank C. Leighton, which has been wintered at Ogdensburg.
The day for sailing vessels on the lakes has apparently gone. It is remarked that of the magnificent fleet of grain carrying sail vessels owned in and hailing from Milwaukee between 1873 and 1876 only two now remain.
Capt. Pierce has returned to the city from Evansville, Indiana. He prepared models for 2 steamers 200 ft. in length, and for one 160 ft. in length. The largest boats will work on the Mississippi river, and the small boat will run between Henderson and Evansville, Indiana. The work of construction will commence immediately.