The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), June 1, 1889

Full Text

p.1 Rumor On The Street - Capt. Marshall's body drifted ashore at Reed's Bay, Wolfe Island.


Her Cabin Is Dry And Everything In Order.

When the news of the arrival of the wrecked barge Bavaria reached the city yesterday a visit was paid the vessl laying at Garden Island. The steamer D.D. Calvin left on Thursday evening for the scene of the wreck. Early yesterday morning the work of lightening the Bavaria was commenced. As soon as a number of sticks of timber had been taken off she floated. A search was made for the missing crew, but nothing was found on or near the vessel that would give any indications as to how the crew met their fate. In conversation with the members of the crew which brought the Bavaria to Garden Island, they expressed opinions as to the way the crew lost their lives. To most of them it appeared that the captain, in the act of cutting wood on the deck, was washed overboard, and that in order to save him the yawl boat was launched and all were drowned. To look at the Bavaria from the shore a person would not know that anything had happened. She is not injured in any way except that her jib boom has been broken off. On going aboard everything was found in proper order. In the cook's department one would judge from the surroundings that it was near the meal hour. A can of tomatoes just opened, but never touched, was lying on the table. In the oven of the stove was a pan of bread being baked. The fire having gone out it ran over the edge of the pan. The captain's room was visited. It presented a home-like appearance. Everything in the cabin showed that nothing extraordinary had occurred. The captain's bedclothes were perfectly dry. His certificate, as captain, was found alongside of the cash box on the shelf where he was accustomed to leave them. There was nothing in his cabin which would lead anyone to suppose that the captain abandoned the vessel or even had thought of it. On the deck were seen the life preservers, which again showed that danger was not dreamt of. There were also four boat oars found lying on the deck. The Bavaria is full of water. Work will be immediately commenced of taking out the timber in her and making necessary repairs.

Capt. Smith, of the barge Norway, says that Captain O'Brien of the steamer Armenia, displayed a great deal of skill in seamanship on Tuesday last, when he took the Norway in tow. Notwithstanding that the wind was blowing hard at the time, he fastened the barge to the stern of the Armenia in quick time. He is an efficient captain.

The best proof that the Bavaria was not overloaded is found in the fact that she reached Garden Island in a dry condition. She was the lightest laden of all the boats and the Norway and Valencia both reached port safely. The Bavaria would also have been picked up by the Calvin had any one been on board to receive a tow line.

Staying At Galloo Island.

When the steamer Armenia arrived at Galloo Island, Wednesday morning, John Carleton, in the Calvin Co.'s employ, was left in charge of the Bavaria and the Armenia returned to the Island to await her permit before pulling off the barge. Mr. Carleton found very little to employ his time. Though a stick of pine about sixteen inches square, apparently by force of the waves, had been lifted on top of the cabin, inside of it nearly everything seemed in as good condition as before the storm.

The weather being calm a few men and women went from Galloo Island in a skiff and boarded the vessel, but were rather surprised to find the boat in such good condition. Mr. Carleton after showing them around, and having nothing to detain him further, took the opportunity of getting ashore. He found the families, of which there are five, very friendly. He remained on the island two days during which he walked around a part of it in search of the lost timber but none had reached that shore.

When the Armenia received the permit she went up at once with the schr. Prussia, reaching the Galloo Island about dark. She put out a line to the Bavaria, but soon broke it. As nothing could be done until some of the deck load was removed, and the weather becoming stormy, the boats were compelled to seek shelter, where they remained all night and the following day. The storm abating on Friday morning at daylight work was commenced and the deck load removed. Then the Bavaria was pulled off without any difficulty. The boats arrived at Garden Island a few hours later and the work of unloading commenced at once. A steam pump was put on board the Bavaria and worked till near midnight.

The Norway will be docked before carrying another load. The tug Thistle picked up a yawl yesterday and towed it into Sackett's Harbor. The Norway and Valencia are both minus their yawls.

Marine Paragraphs.

The schr. Julia was expected this afternoon from Oswego with coal.

The schr. W.H. Stevens, from Chicago, discharged 45,000 bushels of corn.

The schrs. Idlewild and Lea arrived yesterday from Adolphustown with sand.

On May 30th the str. Cambria, when near Point-au-Barques, lost her shoe and twisted her rudder.

The prop. Sir S.L. Tilley arrived this morning from Chicago with two barges laden with grain.

Jumbo, the new elevator owned by the M.T. Company, became disarranged yesterday while engaged discharging a barge.

George Sauve, the engineer of the steamer Traveller, has remained at home for this trip as his son is not expected to recover.

The search light, which is to be placed on the str. St. Lawrence, arrived yesterday afternoon. It will be put in position next week.

The str. Armenia left today for Cheboygan with the Denmark and Norway in tow. The Norway is to be left at Port Dalhousie to go on the dock there.

A half interest in the str. Reindeer was sold in Napanee on Saturday last. T.E. Anderson bought it for $2,300. It is supposed that he was acting for D.W. Allison. The other half is still owned by Captain Collier.

Arrivals: prop. Veronica, Chicago, 53,000 bush. corn; barge Nelson, Chicago, 22,982 bush. corn; barge Merritt, 23,269 bush. corn; prop. Monteagle, Chicago, 46,996 bush. corn; schr. White Oak,Oswego, 355 tons coal.

About three o'clock yesterday the schr. Clara White, while opposite Point Frederick, was struck by a squall. She was under full sail and before the canvas could be taken in it was torn to a considerable extent. Her jibboom was also damaged. She was loaded with lumber for Oswego. Some of her deck load was washed overboard but was secured shortly afterwards. It will take about a day to repair her.

The steamer Island Wanderer had a tough passage from Alexandria Bay to Ogdensburg last Tuesday. When the steamer Massena was bound down she heard the whistle of the Wanderer blowing fiercely, indicating great distress. Capt. Dana immediately went to the rescue, and found the steamer in imminent danger. Having heated up and bent her eccentric, she was powerless to help herself. The sea was tremendous and the rocks were close at hand. Captain Dana attempted to throw a line, but on account of the gale, he was unable to do this, and only accomplished it by falling astern. Taking the helpless Wanderer in tow, the Massena steamed down the river before the gale, reaching Ogdensburg in safety. It was a lucky thing for the Old Wanderer and her passengers that Captain Dana, with the Massena, happened along so opportunely. The Wanderer had on board among others Hon. W.W. Butterfield, Redwood; Andrew Cornwall and John Walton, Alexandria Bay, and Capt. D.H. Lyon, of the Canadian Pacific transfer company.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
June 1, 1889
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), June 1, 1889