The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 2, 1889

Full Text



The str. Persia arrived this morning from Toronto.

The sloop Amelia is loading stone at Portsmouth for Montreal.

The steamer Rosedale arrived last night from Duluth with wheat.

The schr. Eliza Fisher is loading timber at Folger's wharf for Oswego.

The tug Jessie Hall left last night with five barges for Montreal loaded with grain.

The schr. Escanaba, from Chicago to Kingston with corn, passed Port Colborne last night.

The schr. Singapore cleared from Portsmouth this morning for Windsor with railroad iron.

The schr. Watertown passed up this morning on her way to Oswego, to load coal for Toledo.

The tug George D. Seymour arrived this morning from Ogdensburg with the barge Michigan in tow.

The steamer Acadia, from Chicago to Kingston with a general cargo, passed Port Dalhousie last night.

The steamer Princess Louise changed her time in leaving for Gananoque today. She now leaves at three o'clock instead of four.

Mr. Desforges, inspector, Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Company, states that the western passenger traffic has been better this year when compared with that of 1888.

Capt. Cyrille A. Julien, Ottawa, piloted a monster raft consisting of 55,000 feet of timber to Kingston via the Rideau Canal. The raft was principally composed of hemlock, and will be used in the construction of the dry-dock. The trip occupied five weeks' time, but nevertheless was the fastest on record, although the raft was the largest that ever went through the canal.

Early Tuesday morning the steambarge Nipegon (sic - Nipigon ?), of Detroit, Capt. John Leonard, ran on Hinckley's Point, Wolfe Island. At the time of the accident it was raining, and the fog on the lake was dense. The tugs Rival and McArthur went to her assistance this morning and hauled her off within an hour after the ropes had been fastened on her. The Nipegon was eighteen inches out.

General Paragraphs - The ferry steamer Lady May was burned to the water's edge at Sault Ste. Marie....

p.4 The Erie Wave Disaster - Those who lost their lives by the capsizing of the schooner Erie Wave were: Captain Stafford, leaves a wife and three children; Robert Marlett, E. Sopher, George Bell of the crew; L. Stevens, James Stevens, Lewis Walker, C. Crawford of Clear Creek. The Erie Wave was a fine schooner, and was owned by W.Y. Emery of Port Burwell. This is the third time she has capsized, two or three being drowned on the first occasion and two passengers on the second.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 2, 1889
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 2, 1889