The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 28, 1889

Full Text



The tug Thompson cleared this morning for Montreal.

The schr. Watertown cleared yesterday for Oswego, light.

The schr. Hanlan arrived this morning with coal from Oswego.

The str. D.D. Calvin is expected from Cleveland this evening with coal.

The prop. Lake Michigan, from Toledo with grain, arrived on Saturday. After lightening she proceeded to Montreal.

The str. Myles, with the barge St. Louis in tow, arrived yesterday from Toledo. She had a rough passage, but no damage was done to either boat or cargo.

Trials of Passengers - Passengers from Deseronto were sent to Napanee on the str. Annie Gilbert on Thursday night. She attempted to tow a big schooner up the river; got both herself and the schooner aground; puffed and worked for over an hour before she got herself clear; wasted another hour trying to clear the schooner; gave it up; started up the river again; got aground twice more, and finally got hard and fast aground on what is known as the middle ground near the Pines. The passengers were landed in a small, leaky boat and were driven to Napanee by Mr. Sills. Boating experience is not pleasant around the Bay of Quinte just at present.


Mr. Robert Ralston's Trying Experience on the Steamer Quinte.

Robert Ralston, of the firm of Ralston & Co., blacking manufacturers, No. 114 John Street south, Hamilton, was one of the passengers on the ill-fated steamer Quinte. Mr. Ralston is severely injured. His right hand is badly burned and on his forehead and facea are ugly contusions. Mr. Ralston said:

"We were at tea and heard someone calling out 'The boat is on fire !' I rushed to the cabin and put my coat on; the smoke was intense; I heard a woman cry out 'Will someone save me and the baby ?' I then caught hold of a chair and with it smashed three of the windows in the cabin and got out, I don't know how. The first thing I realized was that I was out side of the cabin, climbing between the windows, with the chair in my hand; some one said to me 'Give me the chair and I will throw it in the water'; I told them that I required it, as I could not swim; I crawled along near the water wheel, caught hold of a rope and let myself down, hand over hand, until I reached the water; the flames had made such rapid headway that the rope that was sustaining me was burned through, and I was precipitated into the bay; my chair then stood me in good stead, as with it I managed to paddle along to a brace underneath the boat; I caught hold of that and held my chair underneath me; I called out loudly for help; fortunately my cries were heard by the captain who, with another man, came in a row boat; they came within thirty or forty feet of where I was, but the heat from the burning vessel was so intense that they could not come nearer; the flag pole of the Quinte had burned off and was swimming close to me; it was being propelled towards me by the captain and the other man, and I assisted in guiding it towards me by means of the chair; I caught hold of the end of the pole; they called out, 'Have you a secure hold ?' I replied in the affirmative; they pulled me shoreward as fast as they could row; I was very much exhausted, and taken at once to Deseronto."

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Oct. 28, 1889
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Oct. 28, 1889