The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Jan. 16, 1890 (Weekly)

Full Text

p.1 The Storm On the River - (part) The schr. Hammond, a large three-master, dragged her anchors and came ashore (at Clayton)..."At Ogdensburg the str. Cresco, tug Proctor, schr. Abbie L. Andrews and barges Kent and Aid were torn from their moorings. They came down the harbor causing a great amount of anxiety to the owners. The Cresco, on the outside, suffered the most. Her stanchions and pilot house were broken in and otherwise badly damaged. The smokestack of the Proctor was broken off and the whistles torn and bent. About five o'clock the schrs. Charger, Ganges, J.R. Noyes, M.J. Cummings and E.P. Beals were tied up on the west side of the Oswegatchie, broke away and landed between the Rome road docks and the lighthouse point. The schr. Beals kept on through the channel and brought up in Blue Church Bay, on the Canada side, above Prescott. The barges Newcomb and Buell, lying at George Hall & Co.'s dock, broke away and landed at the ferry dock. The schr. Beals contains 3,000 bushels of wheat, that she is holding till spring. The barge Newcombe was fastened by four large chains, and these were broken like pipe stems.


Roundabout Journey of a Letter Sent by Water-Bound Residents.

Picton, Jan. 13th - Capt. Ostrander, of the Victoria hotel, received a letter today which was transmitted in a peculiar manner. Capt. Ostrander is the lessee of Main Ducks Island, and has two men remain on the island all winter. These men have no means of communicating with the mainland. They determined to send the captain the following letter:

Main Ducks Island, Jan. 5th.

If anyone finds this note please forward it to Capt. Ostrander, of the Victoria hotel, Picton and will get rewarded. All is well and booming on the Ducks, but no ice yet.


Alexander Taylor, Edward Ackerman, of Picton.

They adopted a novel means of sending it. They enclosed it in a glass bottle, attached it to a float and sent it adrift. This bottle was picked up by D.H. Moortona, the keeper of Thibet's (sic - Tibbett's?) Point, N.Y. life-saving station, on the evening of Jan. 8th, and forwarded to Capt. Ostrander the next day. The distance between Main Ducks and Thibet's Point is about 40 miles.

p.2 A Couple of Accidents - On Friday, while the tug Rescue was preparing to take the barge Isis from Bath to Deseronto, she was jammed against the helm of the latter vessel. Capt. A. Sills, in command, shouted to his men to look out, but before they could obey the tiller swung about with great force, knocking John Hunt off the cabin to the deck below. Four ribs were broken. At Deseronto his injuries were attended to by Dr. Newton. John Barber, in loading the barge at Bath, had his hand severely crushed. These accidents are said, by those superstitiously inclined, to be due to the fact that the Isis saled for Bath on Friday.

A Mighty Rough Trip - on Pierrepont, Capt. Allen; wind and fog on way to Wolfe Island.



His Career Ended at Trenton After a Half Century.

Capt. Cuthbert died at Trenton yesterday morning, aged fifty years, leaving a widow and large family. He was born in Scotland and came to this country at an early age. His youth was spent at Cobourg, where he learned the shoemaking trade, but being by nature a seaman, he passed much of his time in sailing and later in modeling yachts, in which latter branch of art, with little training or education and very limited opportunities, he displayed a genius that has never been equalled under like circumstances. With the Wideawake, Lady Stanley, Annie Cuthbert, Surprise, Kathleen, Kate Gray, Iolanthe, Atalanta, Norah, and White Wings, he swept the lakes in all classes, defeating - generally with ease - the models of all comers. Strongly patriotic, he won the championship cup of the lakes with the Annie Cuthbert, and the Gardner cup for sloops (now held by the Norah) with the Atalanta. Twice he essayed to win the American's cup, namely, with the schr. Countess of Dufferin in 1876, and with the sloop Atalanta in 1881, but in each case the lack of money told heavily against him, his craft being rigged in an inferior manner, not sufficiently seasoned and manned with inexperienced men. He was known to yachtsmen throughout the length and breadth of the whole dominion. He had many friends among the yachtsmen and marine men of this city, who regret to hear of his death. When he entered a race his boat was generally the favorite for he was known as a daring sailor with a cool head and steady nerves.

Some Vessel Notes - The propeller (sic) Sir C.T. Vanstraubenzie has been tied up at Toronto by order of the maritime court, as there is a claim of about $200 against her for seamen's wages. A schooner (sic) with such a vast name ought not only to be tied up but kept there.

Harlow Bros., Toledo, have sold the schr. Montana to F.A. Hubbard, Sandusky. The Montana measures 228 tons, rates A 2, and has an Inland Lloyds' valuation of $8,000. She was built at Clayton, N.Y., in 1864.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Jan. 16, 1890 (Weekly)
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Jan. 16, 1890 (Weekly)