The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Jan. 23, 1890 (Weekly)

Full Text

p.1 A Tug Passed Up - Watertown, Jan. 21st - A special from Alexandria Bay says: "A large tug has just passed up the Canadian channel. It is thought to be the tug Edson. This is probably the first time in many years that the river has been opened for navigation on the 21st of January."

There seems now to be every probability that the str. Armstrong wreck will soon be brought to the surface. Saturday Diver Edmond Trembling, of Quebec, went down and placed the third and last chain under her in position. Notwithstanding the intense cold of the water and the difficulty in keeping the air pumps going, he went down 103 feet and remained there for forty-five minutes. Diver Trembling deserves great credit for the courage and vigor he has displayed in carrying on this work.

p.2 Death of Henry Roney - On Thursday Henry Roney, one of Garden Island's oldest residents, passed to rest. He first learned his trade as a shipbuilder in Kingston. In the year 1845 or 1846 he went to work at Garden Island. He had only worked at his trade for about two years when he was appointed superintendent of the yard. The first work done under his supervision was the building of the barge London. When he started work there the schooners John Counter and William Penn were being rebuiilt. He was a first class workman and had more than ordinary ability. Capt. J. Donnelly worked under him and found him to be the best man he ever worked for. All his sons followed in the trade. James Roney is now employed in the M.T. company's yard. During the father's superintendency among other vessels he built the schrs. Plymouth, M.L. Breck, Henry Roney, Oriental, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Prussia, and Bavaria, and steamers Wellington, Hercules, Hiram Calvin, John A. Macdonald, Chieftain, and Traveller. Mr. Roney was well known in Kingston and was highly respected. A man who knew him ever since he came here said that he was sure that Mr. Roney had not an enemy. He resided in Kingston for the last four years.

p.5 The Good Ship Murton - Capt. Joseph Parsons is a record breaker. He carries the laurels as the midwinter mariner. With the good ship Ella Murton he has just made the round trip to Oswego. He crossed to that port on Thursday last barley-laden, and it was a perilous trip, everything became coated with ice. It and snow formed 8" thick on the decks. The crew were encased in ice. The temperature on the lake was many degrees below zero. Thousands saw the vessel enter Oswego harbour. It was the latest arrival ever recorded there.

On Saturday morning an order to strip the boat was sent from here, but the craft had cleared for Kingston before it could be delivered. The boat reached here at 8 o'clock, having been towed in from Nine Mile Point by the steamer Pierrepont. The harbor was full of ice.

The arrival in Kingston is also the latest ever known, though in 1884 Capt. Stephen Tyo did enter on the same date, but only from Cape Vincent. He did not cross the lake.

Capt. Parsons had a picked crew. Four of the men had masters' papers. The sailors were: Capt. Parsons, in command; Capt. Saunders, mate; Zachariah DeWolfe, John Sproule, Willard Stevenson; John Crowley and James Duncan. The last two held mates' papers. They were all experienced men. The crew were paid $20 each for the round trip.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Jan. 23, 1890 (Weekly)
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Jan. 23, 1890 (Weekly)