The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), March 3, 1890

Full Text

p.1 Mr. Ames New Yacht - to be designed by Scotsman. [Oswego Palladium]

Will Cause Delay - This morning another accident happened at the wreck of the steamer Armstrong. Four jacks had been placed on the decks of the two schooners placed on each side of the sunken steamer, and this morning the work of trying to raise the craft was commenced. Too much pressure was put on and three fo the jacks broke. This will cause another delay.

Has Not Entered An Action - James St. Charles denies earlier article re str. Quinte.

General Paragraphs - Breck & Booth has been commissioned to load the schooners Jessie Breck and Neelon with ice for Toledo. The freight rates are high.

The schr. White Oak, Capt. Joseph Dix, is lying at the water works wharf. He was going to load her with ice but was prevented from doing so because the work would interfere with the contractors of the water works wharf.


[Brockville Times]

When people went home Friday it was plainly visible that the schooners Breck and Neelon, engaged in raising the Armstrong wreck, were entirely surrounded by floating ice, except on the south side. The heavy rains and high temperature of the past few days had honeycombed the ice to such an extent that it was considered dangerous at any point. All day heavy floes of great extent came down, but as the shore ice was still strong they were diverted towards the southern shore and did not touch the wrecking schooners. But when night came and the air became chilled, the heavy ice, (loosened ?) by the strong heat of the midday sun, came down with such enormous force (?) as to (?) everybody. It seemed as if it would (carry ?) everything before it. And it almost did. The schooners Breck and Neelon lay right in the channel, and consequently when the (?) ice shove came they were in a position to get the whole benefit of it. The first heavy push came about 9:30 o'clock and it shook the craft considerably. At that time the (yawl ?) belonging to the schooners was out on a berg which had broken away. The small boat had been taken ashore by others of the crew and when the situation of the yawl became apparent those who had the small boat were lustily hailed by voice and horn, and that was what disturbed Brockville for a short time before the ten o'clock bell rang.

The second shove of ice came about two hours after the first and was heavier in its force as it struck against the vessels than the first. It made them quiver throughout.

All were in hope that the worst had passed, but in this they were disappointed, for soon came the thud and the heavy crash. The floe seemed to cover acres, and, as a high wind had arisen, when the ice struck the boats the shock was so great that the heavy eighteen inch square oak timbers by which the two schooners are lashed together, were bent perceptibly. The vessels creaked at every joint, and for a while it was thought that the whole concern would go down the river. The anchors could not have saved them but the six heavy chains that connected the schooners with the wreck saved them. Capt. Mooney says that if it had not been for that nothing could have saved the vessel.

W. Bissonette, the diver, says he never had a rougher experience. He has been a long time in the business and has been for the last four years a government employ.

The strain has now been got on the jacks and the Armstrong may be expected to make a move towards the surface very soon. As the jacks will only raise a foot an hour they must not expect it too quickly.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
March 3, 1890
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), March 3, 1890