The barge Eagle is loading timber for Oswego.
Cleared: schr. B.W. Folger, Oswego, 113,000 feet of lumber.
The str. Khartoum will load peas at Richardson's for Cape Vincent.
A new smoke stack is being put on the prop. Alma Munro at Garden Island.
The schr. White Oak has been chartered to carry a cargo of barley to Oswego.
The schr. Singapore has been chartered to carry a cargo of iron ore to Astabula.
The str. Armenia called at Rathbun's this morning and proceeded down the river.
The schr. Garibaldi will transfer her cargo of coal into barges for points on the Rideau Canal.
The steam yacht Vega made the run from here to Brockville, the other day, in 5 hours and a half. This is pretty good time.
Capt. M. Holland, late inspector of hulls for Oswego district, has been appointed mate of one of the large steamers owned by the Lehigh Valley company.
Arrivals: schr. Garibaldi, Sodus Point, 211 tons coal; tug Col. By, barges Minnie and Thistle, Cape Vincent, light; str. Algerian, Alexandria Bay; schr. H. Dudley, Charlotte, 419 tons coal.
The yacht Atalanta, partly destroyed by fire some time ago at Charlotte, has not as yet been taken to Brighton. An examination reveals that she was not injured to such an extent as was thought. Her hull seems perfectly sound. The cabin was burned, as was also a portion of the sails and masts.
THE CANADIAN SOO
The Work Being Done By Ryan and Haney On The Canal.
Sault Ste. Marie, Sept. 16th - Our Canadian neighbors are making rapid headway in the construction of the "Soo" ship canal, and we must say deserve credit for the manner in which the enterprise has been handled up to the present stage. The bill for the construction of the Canadian "Soo" canal passed the dominion house about Jan. 1st, 1889, and the contract was let to Ryan & Haney in the same month. The appropriation for the entire canal and approaches is $4,000,000. The contractors lost no time, and when the snow left the ground May 1st, 1889, they had 250 men on the work, and the force was increased to 350 until Jan. 15th, 1890, when, owning to severe weather, the force was reduced until March 15th, when 400 men were put on the work, who have been continually employed up to the present date. The work is being carried on systematically, the power being derived from the waters of the Soo rapids with a flume of 1,500 horse power capacity running six water wheels, three of which drive the air compressor, one of them driving a pump by transmission cable, and the other driving the machinery of the carpenter, blacksmith and machine shops. The system of excavation is by derricks set up by intervals of 120 feet at each side of the lock pit, each having a boom, or arm, seventy feet long, which swings the material from the lock-pit to the waste dumps on either side, where it is taken by cars to various parts of the canal to make a uniform dump. These derricks are worked by compressed air, the same engine hoisting the material and swinging the boom. Each derrick removes 100 cubic yards per day. It requires only one pump of 4,700 gallons capacity to keep the lock-pit dry. About two weeks' more work will complete the excavation of the lock-pit. The distance from the water to the beginnng of the lock-pit is about 300 feet, and from the upper end of lock-pit to the waters of Lake Superior 2,600 feet, making the entire length of the canal from water to water 3,700 feet. The pier at the east end of the canal will be 900 feet long and the one at the west end about the same length, with beacons on both piers. The lock will have a depth of eighteen and one half feet of water over the miter sill at low water mark, and will be sixty feet between the gates with a mean depth of eighty-five feet from wall to wall, curving in at both ends to a width of sixty-five feet at the gates. There will be eighteen feet of water in the canal at low water mark.
The lock walls are to be constructed of grey limestone, quarried near Amherstburg, Ont., and cut here, for which purpose a large force of stone-cutters will be put on the work during the coming winter. The floor of the lock-pit will be of concrete throughout, with what is known as a center feed, that is, the filling culvert will extend the entire length of the lock down the center. The gates and valves will be operated by hydraulic power, the gates being made of oak. The bank of the canal will be built of dry masonry, while the banks of our American canal are constructed of crib work. The laying of masonry of the lock proper will be commenced early next spring, and is expected to be completed before the fall of 1891. The stone will be laid by a travelling derrick with four masts, which will lay facing stone and backing at the same time, and finish one complete course before another is commenced. A large quantity of the stone is already on the ground and the entire canal without any doubt will be ready for lockages by the latter part of the summer of 1892. Next year there will be 700 to 900 men on the work. M.J. Haney, under whose personal management the work is being carried on, was formerly with Andrew Onderdonk on his Canadian Pacific Railway contract through the Rockies, and is a man whose system of carrying on such a large contract is much admired by contractors who have seen the work.