The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 26, 1890

Full Text



The schr. Fleetwing cleared for Oswego with lumber this morning.

The hull of the new steam yacht being built for Folger Bros. has been completed.

The schr. Singapore has gone into winter quarters at Gunn's dock after a most successful season.

The schr. Annandale, reported ( ) trouble in the west, is owned ( ) Bros., of Cobourg.

The M.T. Co. will not build a new boat this winter. The boats in service will be thoroughly overhauled.

The tug Walker went to Oswego today to get 3 barges, which will be brought to Deseronto, where they will load lumber and shingles for Charlotte.

The str. Alexandria took a large consignment of canned fruit to Brockville, on Monday. After discharging her cargo she left for Picton to go into winter quarters.

Nearly half a million bushels of grain were handled by the M.T. Co. on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It came from the west and was shipped to Montreal in barges. Because of the shipment of this grain to Montreal the marine department ordered the lightships on the river to be kept out longer than last year.The steamer St. Magnus will arrive in a few days with 34,000 bushels of corn.

Carried Too Much Sail - Hugh McLaren, keeper of Knapp's Point light-house, got in trouble in harbour - details.



[Oswego Palladium]

The big tow barge H.R. Newcomb, owned by George Hall & Co., Ogdensburg, and commanded by Capt. Charles Brown, went ashore in a blinding snowstorm Saturday night just the other side of Nine Mile Point and about five miles east of Fairhaven. The Newcomb is up high and dry on a gravelly beach and does not appear to have been injured by her rough experience.

The Newcomb left Cape Vincent, Saturday morning, in tow of the tug Proctor, for Charlotte to load coal. There was a heavy sea running down the lake and during the day there were frequent squalls of snow. The Newcomb pitched frightfully. She was light and had no hold on the water, and was tossed about in a lively manner. About seven o'clock, when abreast of the great Sodus light, the tow line parted and the big barge was at the mercy of the seas and gale. The tug circled around her two or three times, but those on the barge were unable to get in their tow line, and as they had no other to pass to the tug, the latter was obliged to leave them, and the barge was quickly lost in a snow squall. The tug signalled by the blowing of her whistle that she was about to leave, and those on the barge began making sail. She was driven well in towards shore while sail was being made and Captain Brown was unable to get her back into the lake. She did not steer well, he told a gentleman yesterday, and the blinding snow shut out the lights at Sodus and Fair Haven. He tried to pick up the Oswego light, but could not do so and was unable, he said, to get one of his men to go aloft. About ten o'clock he dropped one of the anchors. It did not hold and the barge was dragging towards the shore. At the first touch of the vessel on the bottom, the cable was slipped and the next big sea carried the barge high and dry broad side on to the beach, where she now lies in an easy position.

Capt. Brown arrived in the city yesterday and reported that his vessel was ashore. Capt. Dobbie and W.D. Allen drove up to the wreck yesterday. They report that she is resting easy on the beach and can be gotten off without much damage. The crew are living on the barge.

The Newcomb was built at East Saginaw by Arnold, in 1876, and is registered 850 net tons. She is rated A 2 in Lloyd's and is valued at $25,000. She is a double decker and was the largest boat owned on Lake Ontario. About nine o'clock Saturday night Commodore Crimmons received a telegram from Capt. Russell, of the Proctor, stating that the Newcomb was adrift in the lake and asking him to have a tug keep a lookout for her if she tried to make this port. Yesterday morning the Proctor steamed along down the lake looking for the barge and found her on the beach.

p.2 Improvements On the Lakes - A press despatch from Washington says that the next report of the lighthouse board to Secretary Windom will recommend the establishment of the following aids to navigation on Lake Ontario: A steam fog signal on Galloup Island, cost $5,700; a steam river fog whistle at the entrance to the Oswego River, cost $4,300; a lighthouse at the head of Carleton Island, cost $8,600; a fog signal at Tibbett's Point, cost $4,300; light ships on Bay State shoal at the crossover, cost $800; a fog signal at Charlotte, cost $4,300.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Nov. 26, 1890
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Rick Neilson
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), Nov. 26, 1890