Daily News (Kingston, ON), March 15, 1853
- Full Text
p.2 The Welland Canal - Since the close of navigation, numbers of workmen have been busily engaged on this canal in the construction of a second tow path. This necessary addition, with many improvements to the Locks, will be complete in a few weeks. The business done on this canal during the past few years, has elicited much surprise on all sides. Judging from the past, and knowing the endless resources of wealth which this country possesses, the time cannot be far distant when the Locks must be sufficiently enlarged to admit vessels of the largest class from Lake Superior to the Atlantic. The present large lamps fixed at each lock have been deemed insufficient for night work, and the Government have determined upon the adoption of gas lights. The towns of St. Catharines and Thorold will be lighted with gas at the same time. [Hamilton Gazette]
Lake Superior - The Detroit Tribune says:- "We learn that advices have been received in town from the Sault, which state that the propeller Peninsula has been taken over the portage at that place, and is ready to be launched into the waters of Lake Superior as soon as the ice will permit. This is the second boat that Capt. Jones of this city has taken over the portage in the winter season, and in a manner that elicits the commendation of all who have witnessed his operations. The Peninsula belongs to Col. Sheldon McKnight, and is to be connected with the steamboat Baltimore, Capt. Wilson, on that lake, and the steamboat Albany on the lower lakes, which will ply between Cleveland, this place, and the Sault."
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- March 15, 1853
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Rick Neilson
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes